HP G42-475DX; Windows 7; not booting

Reaction score
Hi all,

My laptop (HP G42-475DX) had slowed down for quite a while, the fan seemed to run all the time at high speed and it was quite hot. At least once it shut down due to high temperature.

I was wondering about virus/malaware etc. so I ran several programs in addition to the AVG antivirus. Malawarebytes found some files that I go rid of. At the same time I also tried registry cleaner and I havent been able to get the laptop going ever since. It turns on but doesnt boot up. I tried running Linux Mint (that I have installed on an older PC) but linux wouldnt run - I was able to get to the cd, and select the run program option, but it just kept running without anything happening.

Just to get the harddrive out of the equation I took the harddrive out and tried to boot up Linux Cd but again, I could select the run option but it would run (I dont know if Linux would run from CD without a harddrive...I'd have thought it would?).

I thought maybe the problem is the temperature so I took the laptop apart this weekend and I dont see any dirt.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem??

Reaction score
The compound that is between the HSF and cpu has after a while a tendancy to dry up and crack.

It maybe that and may need reapplying if you are capable of doing such a task?

Only use a decent paste though Artic silver 5 or Artic MX4. It's quite expensive but will last a long time ;)

Reaction score
Haven't done it before but there's a first time for everything - can you suggest a decent how-to video?
Thanks!

Reaction score
I can't really recommend one no. There are hundreds on Youtube
Whether there will be any for your specific machine I am unsure you are better going to have a look.

It is pretty easy the hardest part is stripping laptop. If unsure take it to a shop and explain to them what the issue is. I have no idea how much they will charge

good luck

Reaction score
Another thing you could look into is running a memtest on the computer to check out the RAM. With overheating, it is certainly likely that there is an issue with the compound on the CPU, but my first thought when a live CD doesn't work is to check the RAM. You can download memtest here. Just follow the instructions and let it run (if even that can) and it will tell you if the RAM is okay.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Wot alow said. A laptop will take time to overheat and that will normally allow time for the machine to boot to the operating system, be it Linux or Windows.

And as mentioned the fact that a Live CD won't run points to faulty memory as a live distro is loaded into and runs from memory.

The memory is usually easy to access on laptops (usually under a cover held on with 1 or 2 small screws) so have a look and if you have two memory modules remove one at a time and see if that makes any difference.

Running Memtest definitely a good idea.

Reaction score
I tried using one RAM stick at a time; I also tried a new 4MB RAM and every time got the same results. The live CD started up and I got to the point where I could access the options (integrity test, run linux, memory test...). I selected run Linux and it would run for a while and then nothing.
I ran memtest86+ (from Linux Mint live CD) and am attaching three screenshots. This particular one was with a new 4MB + an old 2MB RAM sticks. Not sure how to interpret the results so would appreciate advice.

Attachments

• 500-IMG_2702.jpg
    500-IMG_2702.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 287
  • 500-IMG_2703.jpg
    500-IMG_2703.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 319
  • 500-IMG_2704.jpg
    500-IMG_2704.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 397
Reaction score
I also opened up the laptop to get at the cpu (see attachment). I cleaned the surface and applied thermal paste (Arctic MX4). The overall results remain the same. The live CD boot up runs for a while and then it all goes quiet.
Should point out that the above three screenshots of the memtest are after applying thermal paste.

Attachments

• 500_667_IMG_2693.jpg
    500_667_IMG_2693.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 322
Reaction score
By the way, if anyone needs to open up an HP G-series laptop then I'd recommend this youtube link (
).

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I'm no memtest expert, but to me from the 3 images you posted, it would appear that Memtest did not finish testing.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well you can't say you haven't given it your best shot.

The third memtest pic simply shows your memory has undergone 9% of the tests it carries out and has passed 4% of the overall testing. This does not mean it's failed 5%, results take longer to be displayed than the testing. The testing is quite a lengthy process, can easily take a few hours.

If there are any faults the display should make it quite obvious errors have been found.

However, as you've replaced the memory with some new memory and you still have probs it does seem unlikely the memory's at fault. If you've carried out the thermal paste application properly (thorough cleaning before application is the key issue here) then that will have taken care of any overheating problems caused by worn thermal paste.

It could still be overheating though, try using a room fan on the laptop directed at the CPU area when you start the laptop and see if it carries on working when it's being cooled.

If that doesn't work I'm afraid it does look as though it's pointing to a motherboard/CPU fault which is probably uneconomical to repair.

One last thing, clutching at straws here, remove the hard disk and see if a live distro will run. The disk is located under another cover on the rear of the machine usually.

Reaction score
And I thought 7 minutes was a long time :blush: ...will let it run longer and let you know how it goes.
I cleaned both surfaces with lens cleaning cloth & isopropyl alcohol before applying fresh paste (see pic).
I have already removed the hard drive.
Is there a way to tell whether this is a motherboard/cpu fault?

Attachments

• 501IMG_2696.jpg
    501IMG_2696.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Is there a way to tell whether this is a motherboard/cpu fault?

More or less. Process of elimination.

And if you eventually prove the memory good and there's no hard disk in there, it pretty much comes down to the CPU/Motherboard I suppose.

Power supply? It's run from either a battery or direct DC(s) from a power 'brick' so that almost eliminates it from being a suspect. Unless you're only powering up on battery power, laptop batteries are notorious for short lives.

That only leaves the optical drive and I honestly wouldn't suspect that.

Reaction score
This time I let it run overnight and am attaching pictures taken after ~13 and 13.5 hour.
Since I dont see any errors, would it be fair to say that RAM's ok?!?
Even if the laptop's dead - must say, I had fun taking stuff apart - thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 12h50min-memtest86.jpg
    12h50min-memtest86.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 13h36min-Memtest86.jpg
    13h36min-Memtest86.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 211
Reaction score
Well sounds to be a processor/motherboard issue at this point. The only other thing I would even consider, and it's an idea coming out of left field (sorry for those of you unfamiliar with baseball or the phrase) is that the fans aren't running or aren't running well enough to circulate the hot air out of the case. At least it seems you have been able to maintain a good attitude through the learning process, and that's always a plus. I would bet your data is still in good order if you need to recover any, you should be able to hook that drive up directly to a desktop (if you have extra SATA ports/cables) or with a USB to SATA dock. Best of luck!

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
This time I let it run overnight and am attaching pictures taken after ~13 and 13.5 hour.
Since I dont see any errors, would it be fair to say that RAM's ok?!?
Even if the laptop's dead - must say, I had fun taking stuff apart - thanks for your help!
Judging by those to pics, Memtest has not finished running yet.

Reaction score
In theory, I believe MemTest can run until you stop it. It will just continue upping the pass count. As long as 1 pass is completed, it should give you a good idea, though I like to let it run for at least 3-4 hours.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Judging by those to pics, Memtest has not finished running yet.

After 13 hours I'd say it has definitely completed, lol ;)

As alow pointed out, Memtest just loops, it will keep running, starting afresh after each completion, until it is manually stopped.

Ask a Question