Linux Mint 18 KDE

Reaction score
Hi gang any one know about Linux Mint 18KDE, I am thinking of going over to Linux Mint 18 KDE 64Bit has anyone had any experience of this Distro? At the moment I am running Linux Mint Cinnamon 18 but just had a look KDE and it looks rather good any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. :thumb:

Reaction score
Just had a thought I have a spare drive I could download KDE onto that rather than losing Cinnamon and hold that in case I did not get on with KDE. KDE looks very polished and the graphics fantastic.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's only a different desktop Mr Boots, the underlying kernel/system is the same.

You should be able to tell from screen shots whether you'd like it or not.

I've tried both, I prefer Cinnamon.

Is there still a Gnome version I wonder?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Cinnamon is the 'new' Gnome

yes, I've tried KDE, it doesn't matter who's version of Linux you have/use, KDE is the same-ish over all of them ... a few things may be absent/present.

Try to remember. Linux is the engine, the wrappers may change the look and how you interact with the engine.

:user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Mate and Xfce both get my vote. Mate is slicker than Xfce in the looks department.

I have tried KDE as it looks and sounds really slick.Trouble is they keep on bringing out a new version with tons of really neat sounding improvements before they have fixed all the glitches and gremlins in the old versions.

:cool:

Reaction score
The idea is I download it on a spare hard drive and have a look see, NOT getting rid of Cinnamon as I like it but just want to have a look see at another distro and compare. I think it is nice to look at and compare distro's for one's self and see what suits you. At least you have a choice unlike Windows. I think the Mint 18 KDE is a LTS , Mint seem to be taking the view that LTS is the way to go .

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
The idea is I download it on a spare hard drive and have a look see, NOT getting rid of Cinnamon as I like it but just want to have a look see at another distro and compare. I think it is nice to look at and compare distro's for one's self and see what suits you. At least you have a choice unlike Windows. I think the Mint 18 KDE is a LTS , Mint seem to be taking the view that LTS is the way to go .

Good idea to install Mint KDE to a separate hard drive or partition. The beauty of the penguin is variety so have fun looking around and playing with all the different programs.

You could just install KDE as an extra desktop in your present Mint.
or
You could install the Mint KDE in a VM, virtual machine on your present Mint. Urmas is a wizard with the VM stuff.

Flops has the best idea for trying out different os's with his hard drive caddys. Pull out a caddy with Windows on and slot in a caddy with Linux. No problems with booting and no cross over problems if an os goes rogue. :thumb:

Reaction score
Well had a in and out day today but managed to download KDE on a spare drive and first glance looks rather complicated or should I say more complicated than Cinnamon. The intension is to use a sata docking station to play with it but on first glance not sure I will get on with it, but we will see, but probably not use it as I get on well with Cinnamon;), and now know where everything is.:nod:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Kde complicated , no way mate , it is just overflowing with choice. :lol:

It does have some really good programs, some of the best in fact. Shame you have to download all the hundreds of megabytes of KDE base to use them. :cool:

Ask a Question