Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1 64bit Short Review

Reaction score
Well I have now updated to Linux Mint 18.1 and well worth for the eye candy, speed and ease. The new edition has certainly made a Cinnamon a nice piece of kit the advantages are it is faster than the original Linux Mint Cinnamon, the esthetic's are professional and it looks so good and makes the original version of 18 look amateur. so the advantages are in a nutshell, Speed, Esthetic's and it is solid as a rock. All of this makes it a great platform for people to ether convert to Linux completely or to dual boot and the best advantage IT IS FREE (oh but please give a donation to Linux Mint) and looks and feels professional. :user::thumb::cheers:

Core

noot, noot
Reaction score
I was going over the changes but I wondered what made you say this release is aesthetically improved. Is it a general feeling you get using it, that it's slicker, or is it something specific you could point out?

Reaction score
With Cinnamon 18 it was a typical Linux start page with 18.1 the whole feel has changed how can I put it, it feels and looks professional the same feeling you get with the big boys like Apple and MS. When I have tried Linux distro's in the past the feeling you got that it had been hatched up by amateurs, it the whole thing felt wrong and if you did not use or know command line you were excluded from using any Linux system. With the start of distro's like Robolinux and several other new distro who were trying to make Linux more accessible to ordinary people who only knew Microsoft, they were not very pleasing or easy to use. When I had enough of Microsoft cash cow Windows 10 because I was not pleased with their data collection and some other things and decided to look at Linux again I downloaded Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1. Well it was easy to use but a bit of a clod all I can say it was usable, when 17.2 came out it was better but not ideal. Now when Cinnamon 18 came out it was better than 17.2 but well still looked old fashioned but now with 18.1 it looks and feels a professional job, it is slick, looks good, feels good, great boot up time it is the whole thing, Linux distros have always looked amateur but this is the bees knees. Pros,quick boot up, all the aps you could want about 3000, well presented and slick looking, easy to use, long term support until 2023, no automatic updates you don't have to download any or all updates if you do not want to it is entirely up to you. The ambiance of the distro is professional and slick, what more could you want.

Core

noot, noot
Reaction score
I look forward to trying it out as soon as AMDGPU supports R9 270. The open-source replacement of fglrx is garbage.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Tried installing Mint on an Acer Aspire e1-417G ( i3, 8GB RAM ) Sadly had to give up as Linux doesn't recognise the track pad.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I look forward to trying it out as soon as AMDGPU supports R9 270. The open-source replacement of fglrx is garbage.

https://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/view/21838

Created: 2 years ago.
Last edited: 2 years ago.
Read 0 times.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=228037

Re: AMD drivers R9 270 Mint 18 Sarah
Postby rene » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:58 am

The correct driver for your R9 270 (currently, "radeon") is already installed and used; it's for Ubuntu 16.04and its derivatives only Nvidia users that need to do something additionally since the Nvidia driver can due to license reasons not be used by default.

Please note; before 16.04, "radeon" existed as the open-source alternative to AMD's closed-source "fglrx" driver, and with most of the advanced stuff spun of into the latter, the former did not always get the most from your hardware. This is no longer the case: AMD has been significantly contributing to "radeon" and it's by now on par with the former closed-source "fglrx" driver in terms of performance. That is, you should not need anything else and are good to go out of the box.

That said: the R9 270 is a GCN card and will in the relatively near future also be supported by the new "amdgpu" driver(-stack) which consists of an open source low-level part and, optionally, a closed source high-level part. It's doubtful if your R9 270 will in fact need/want anything from the latter but you will at that point have the option of installing it. Support back to GCN 1.0 cards is currently being added to "amdgpu".

But note once again then: you need nothing other than what is already installed by default on Mint 18; you're good as is.

:cool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Tried installing Mint on an Acer Aspire e1-417G ( i3, 8GB RAM ) Sadly had to give up as Linux doesn't recognise the track pad.

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-get-my-touchpad-working-on-Linux-Mint

you would probably need to install the xf86-input-synaptics(or however its named on your distro) driver... try to apt-get search for synaptics... see what comes up...

some setting might need to be specified....
have a look at this: Touchpad Synaptics , the installation methodology would vary but the configuration should be probably the same provided your system is up to date...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics

This article details the installation and configuration process of the Synaptics input driver for Synaptics (and ALPS) touchpads found on most notebooks.

Tip: xf86-input-synaptics is in maintenance mode and is no longer updated. If possible, use libinput. It implements a different approach to recognize and process multitouch features.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Libinput

From the libinput wiki page:

libinput is a library to handle input devices in Wayland compositors and to provide a generic X.Org input driver. It provides device detection, device handling, input device event processing and abstraction so minimize the amount of custom input code compositors need to provide the common set of functionality that users expect.
The X.Org input driver supports most regular Xorg#Input devices. Particularly notable is the project's goal to provide advanced support for touch (multitouch and gesture) features of touchpads and touchscreens. See the project documentation for more information.

:cool:

Core

noot, noot
Reaction score
Last edited:

Ask a Question