Linux Mint no sound.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I have an HP DC 7900 desktop which has been running Linux Mint for around 8 months with no issue. A couple of days back the hard drive started making clicking noises so I swapped it for a spare 500Gig laptop drive I had laying about. I installed the latest vrsion of Mint and now I have no sound coming from the onboard sound or from the headphone jack.
I have tried THIS and have no luck. Still no sound. Help please. :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have an HP DC 7900 desktop which has been running Linux Mint for around 8 months with no issue. A couple of days back the hard drive started making clicking noises so I swapped it for a spare 500Gig laptop drive I had laying about. I installed the latest vrsion of Mint and now I have no sound coming from the onboard sound or from the headphone jack.
I have tried THIS and have no luck. Still no sound. Help please. :thumb:

Try installing this,

https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/pavucontrol

More info here

Recently Linux Mint has been experiencing a few bugs. Some users of Mint have reported no sound when installing or upgrading the OS. Others have had issues with popping and cracking audio. Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, most systems will use PulseAudio or Alsa for audio. You probably won’t have to install a separate driver for your audio card. Still, it’s good to know which audio device your computer is using. (These solutions were performed in Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, but they also work in most versions of Ubuntu.)

Better still just install MX-19

:lol:

Last edited:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Better still just install MX-19

:lol:

Not a bad idea at all!

Of all the Linux distros that I have installed, Linux Mint is the only one that has given me problems. One of the widgets that I installed would off and on freeze the distro and a couple of times I had to do a hard reset because of it. Later found out it was a bug, I had nothing to do with it. This put me off and I do not favor Linux Mint over either Manjaro or MX-19 that I have installed on my desktop at this moment.

Ask a Question