Linux Mint 19

Discussion in 'Linux' started by floppybootstomp, Jun 21, 2018.

1. floppybootstomp

floppybootstomp sugar 'n spikes Moderator

Just installed a Beta version of Linux Mint 19 to it's own Crucial 250Gb SSD drive and it appears to be working well.

It's only available atm with the Mate desktop (and in 64 Bit only) but will be available with a choice of desktops when the final stable version is released, including, presumably, Cinnamon, my favourite desktop.

For this install I booted from a USB stick, I'd never done that before, certainly beats burning an ISO to a DVD for cost-effectiveness. To load a bootable OS from the ISO file to the USB drive I used a free piece of portable software named Rufus within Windows 10 which worked remarkably well. Rufus added a couple of files to make the Distro bootable during the conversion process.

The interfaces within V.19 have changed and so far are agreeable to me. Have installed the Nvidia drivers, all updates, Scribus and Bleachbit so far and disabled screensaver and all power options.

895_800.jpg

floppybootstomp, Jun 21, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. floppybootstomp

Abraham Andres Luna

I would like to install and run Linux on this box but I'm stuck with secure boot, and I don't know how to configure the BIOS to boot from a different volume on my hard drive.

Abraham Andres Luna, Jun 25, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. floppybootstomp

muckshifter I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition. Moderator

muckshifter, Jun 25, 2018
  4. floppybootstomp

Abarbarian Acruncher

What make and model is yer lappy ? :cool:

Abarbarian, Jun 29, 2018
  5. floppybootstomp

Abraham Andres Luna

Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 3147, if that helps you any.

Abraham Andres Luna, Jun 29, 2018
  6. floppybootstomp

muckshifter I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition. Moderator

:user:

muckshifter, Jun 29, 2018
  7. floppybootstomp

Abarbarian Acruncher

Abarbarian, Jun 29, 2018
  8. floppybootstomp

Abraham Andres Luna

Have you installed Linux alongside Windows 10 and booted into the different OSs? For some reason, my laptop is configured to only boot into Windows and it doesn't give me the option to choose a volume. I have to start up into Windows and then select advanced reset options and choose "Boot Into BIOS" but then when I'm in BIOS I can't figure out how to boot into a different OS.

9. floppybootstomp

Abraham Andres Luna

So you think I should try Mint? If not then which flavor of Linux should I try? This will be my first time using the OS if I am successful.

10. floppybootstomp

Urmas Subarctic Penguin

Urmas, Jun 29, 2018
    Abraham Andres Luna likes this.
  11. floppybootstomp

Abarbarian Acruncher

Linux Mint 19 “Tara” Now Available to Download as Cinnamon, MATE & Xfce Editions

"The Linux Mint 19 “Tara” operating system is now available to download ahead of the official release later this week as Cinnamon, MATE, and Xfce editions for both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures.

Linux Mint project leader Clement Lefebvre announced today that work on the forthcoming Linux Mint 19 “Tara” operating system is now over and that the team prepares for the official release later this week. However, the final ISO images for all three editions of Linux Mint 19 are already available to download on the official servers."

Personally I prefer MX-17. :cool:

Abarbarian, Jun 30, 2018
  12. floppybootstomp

Well, you would say that wouldn't you? I suspect your motto is 'What is life without a challenge?' ;)

I uninstalled Mint with Mate and installed Mint with Cinnamon (what is this - a recipe?) a few days ago. That's better.

floppybootstomp, Jun 30, 2018
  13. floppybootstomp

PS: I couldn't get my Auzentech 7.1 Prelude X-Fi PCI sound card working with Mint, the card being based on a Creative chipset. I searched t 'net for a solution to no avail.

So I bought an Asus Xonar DGX PCI-e sound card and that works fine within Mint. Luckily this old motherboard has both PCI and PCI-e slots and I did find a home for the Auzentech.

Would have preferred to use the Auzentech though as it's one of those rare sound cards that has a coax digital out as opposed to Toslink optical digital out and I'm a using a DAC with this setup.

And by way of interest the Asus soundcard is around £53 at Novatech and other suppliers but I bought one for £25 from Ebay/Currys/PCWorld. That is a huge price difference.

Abraham Andres Luna likes this.
  14. floppybootstomp

Abarbarian Acruncher

Well I use Arch to create excitement and to bring some element of challenge to my computing life.

I keep a copy of MX around on a usb stick and run it as my backup os due to the fact that it is so stable and reliable.
    It is partly created with some Ubuntu stuff so is pretty much the same as Mint in that respect. I just prefer the way it is set up with Xfce over the Mint offerings.

Way back in 2009 folk had Auzentech Prelude X-Fi sound cards working well in Ubuntu,

https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-870001-p-2.html

If you follow this breadcrumb trail I think you will find that the Auzentech card uses a E-mu 20K chip which should utilise the creative drivers and should work in linux. That is if I have understood things correctly.

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Auzentech

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/E-mu_20K

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Sound_Blaster_X-Fi#/Linux_support

https://wiki.debian.org/X-Fi

or this may be the page needed

https://wiki.debian.org/snd-emu10k1

:cool:

Abarbarian, Jun 30, 2018
  15. floppybootstomp

Urmas Subarctic Penguin

Psst: https://voyagerlive.org/

Urmas, Jun 30, 2018
  16. floppybootstomp

Abarbarian Acruncher

Looks interesting I like that they do long term editions up to 2020/1 ish and a Gamers edition.:nod:

Not so keen on the task bar at the to p of the screen an they only do american english translations :eek:

I'm happy with MX as I know my way around it now and it has never let me down. :cool:

Abarbarian, Jun 30, 2018
  17. floppybootstomp

Hazy memory here but I seem to recall I couldn't get an MX distro to run when I tried it a few years ago.

I do have a spare 500Gb mechanical HDD atm and was thinking of trying AV Linux, it being focused on audio-visual aspects.

And I've just noticed Mint 19 is out of Beta stage, official stable version now released. I wonder if my Beta install will upgrade or it means yet another fresh install?

Thanks for the info on the Auzentech Abarb, I may try it again but after all that kerfuffing about I'm not right keen atm. The Auzentech Prelude, imo, was a very good sound card so it would be a shame not to integrate it in a fairly recent computer build.

18. floppybootstomp

Abarbarian Acruncher

I would do a fresh install of Mint if I were you. Why on earth did you try out the beta version ?:eek:

AV Linux sounds neat and you would probably only need at most 200 GB of that drive to run it on.

As to MX I have only ever installed it via a Live USB version of MX. It really should run fine on your set up. I gave up on trying distros from DVD/CD years ago once I had bought a 8 GB usb stick. Nowadays I find that a lot of Live distros run almost as fast as a desktop install if run from a usb 3 or fast enough for daily use at least. :cool:

Abarbarian, Jul 1, 2018
  19. floppybootstomp

Curiosity :D Plus the fact I didn't have any Linux distros installed at the time so thought may as well try 19 Beta rather than Stable 18. Logical?

floppybootstomp, Jul 1, 2018
  20. floppybootstomp

Abarbarian Acruncher

Wellllllllllllll I guess there is some sort of logic in your choice. :nod: Mind you I am surprised my glowing endorsements for MX and Arch were not your first choice :lol:

Looks like AV has had some decent lurve lately

https://news.softpedia.com/news/av-...d-against-meltdown-security-flaw-521737.shtml

:cool:

Abarbarian, Jul 1, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question