Linux Mint 18 KDE

Reaction score
Well I downloaded KDE on a spare drive and had a good go on it all day in fact, what did I think of it. Firstly it downloaded faultlessly and was easy to install. I found the boot up was quick and the picture quality was excellent far better than Cinnamon in fact more like a 3D screen and if it worked in Cinnamon it would have been the best experience that I could have had. But I found it confusing and difficult to navigate, so after trying to use it for a day I gave up and reverted back to Mint Cinnamon 18 which is a shame. My conclusion is that this distro would not be good for a novice especially if you are a recent convert to Linux from Microsoft, or more possibly a younger user who is more IT savvy than me. The one plus for me was the visual experience better than W10 and Cinnamon.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You think Mint with a different desktop is difficult? Try Slack, Arch, or even Suse for that matter

Reaction score
Well having been a loyal user with Microsoft since 1998 until late 2015 up to W10 and having been spoon fed by MS all that time I think my transfer to Linux Mint so far has been quite smooth. Mint Cinnamon I think is designed mainly for the ex MS users and for that reason easy to use, too I am too lazy to try command line (possibly too thick) and still settling down with it. It has been a bit of a mind change now out of my Microsoft mind set but enjoy having a go and if it don't work for me bin it. One thing I have learned though if you are going to experiment with another distro is to use a spare disc or run it from a CD or a memory stick so you do not lose your existing distro with all your downloads and information.:nod::thumb:

Ask a Question