The Saga starts here!

Reaction score
OK, so my old toshiba laptop has been dusted down & restarts first time in 2 years.
But the cmos battery may need replacing as the time was set to default.
Just had on for 4 hours and now seeing if the date/time stays right or not.
And it's triple booting with linux mint x2 & win xp pro.

Now the laptop is only help together with 11 screws, but even i have not played with laptops in 5 years so may have to get local pcrepair place to do it for me and put in a new cmos battery if it needs one?

The fun bit will be if i delete x1 of linux?
How do i do that??

Now was thinkiing of using the recovery disk to clean it all up & then clean instal linux?
Does that sound a good idea??

Have backed up everything to external hdd before i last used it.
And nothing new is on it.

And then it's getting to grips with linux, thats where the fun may start!!
As never used it really before, got a few linux tutorials and linux an a usb pen drive put on my a friend the other day which will boot from usb, thats if laptop bios sees it in boot up??

Sorry it's a big thread folks!:blush:

Reaction score
Find the manual online mate and look where the battery is kept.

Chance are it will be somewhere really accessible to allow you too change it yaself

Usually under keyboard or small compartment underneath

See what battery it takes and order one. Will only be a few pence probs pay more postage tbh than what its worth

Reaction score
Often when I'm going to be doing surgery on a laptop or netbook I'll ck on youtube for a vid of the particular model in question being worked on so that I have some idea of what to expect. It's nothing like working on a desktop, it can be like taking a watch apart, and each is usually quite different. But hopefully they'd locate the cmos battery in an easily accessible spot. As for getting rid of your extra Mint installation - one way would be to just get a newer version of Mint and install that over the other two :)

Reaction score
Got the User's Manual & all the documents that came with it, but no guide to CMOS battery.
Will see if it's kept time & if not see how much/long local pcrepairs will take.
Still googling it to see if anything comes up on it.

Will post update later!

Reaction score
Just found the Maintenance Manual online after a bit of a search & a few false starts.
Will have a look tonight and see if i can do the job easily myself or if it's a pcrepair shop job!
Will post back tomorrow on the outcome, but will probably see how the laptop responds over the next week before deciding what to do re cmos battery.

Cheers folks.:thumb:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
What model Toshiba is it ? I shall see if there are any online tuts on how to replace it :)

Reaction score
Just checked the manual i downloaded for free off the net & it's a bit of a big job!
Shows how to take-apart laptop & where the cmos battery is etc.
But may see if it keeps it's charge for a week before rushing out to get a new battery.
Look a bit of a big job & not one i would fancy undertaking!!!

Cheers for the input on this folks.:thumb:
And google is a wonderful search engine at times!!:dance:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My feeling is that the battery will probably be ok after laptop has been connected to PSU for a length of time, not being used for two years will have flattened it after all.

CMOS batteries do go down, but it's a relatively rare occurence.

Ask a Question