Linux gaming in 2018.........

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Here are a couple of articles on the state of pc gaming using a linux operating system.

41 of Steam's most played games in 2018 are supported on Linux

Valve released some interesting lists today which show off some top games, these lists show some interesting details about Linux games.

Here's some fun figures:

• 35/100 of Steam's overall top sellers in 2018 support Linux.
  • 28/150 of Steam's top-selling new releases (Early Access is counted) in 2018 support Linux.
  • 3/120 of Steam's top VR titles in 2018 supported Linux.
  • 18/50 of Steams top Early Access titles that graduated into a full game supported Linux.
  • 41/114 of Steam's most played games in 2018 support Linux - Games with the highest simultaneous peak.

The figures above do not take into account the figures for folk using Steam Play so those figure may be even higher.

Some thoughts on Linux gaming in 2018, an end of year review

Now that 2018 is coming to a close, let’s go over what’s happened this year. It’s been incredibly interesting to follow, things haven’t been this lively for some time. Note: As this is a roundup of sorts, multiple links will go back to our articles talking about them.

The article above is a decent round up of information regarding not only games but the entire gaming industry. Obviously it points to all the successful moves forward that have occurred during the year but it also reveals some of areas that penguins are weak in.
What should give all linux users hope for the future is that the penguin army is relentlessly forging ahead to a bright and shiny future.

tux_linux_by_deiby_ybied-d70w4xk.png

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
  • 41/114 of Steam's most played games in 2018 support Linux - Games with the highest simultaneous peak.

That is a pretty decent statistic!

Funnily enough, I've been debating setting up a dual boot setup again (I seem to set this every 5 years or so :lol:). I think once I upgrade, I'll dual boot with Ubuntu and W10 so that I can switch between the two easily. At the moment, I use VMs, but it doesn't really let me test out the gaming side of things.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
That is a pretty decent statistic!

Funnily enough, I've been debating setting up a dual boot setup again (I seem to set this every 5 years or so :lol:). I think once I upgrade, I'll dual boot with Ubuntu and W10 so that I can switch between the two easily. At the moment, I use VMs, but it doesn't really let me test out the gaming side of things.

Setting up a dual boot with say MX-18 would only take about an hour including time taken to download the os, install to a usb, creating new partitions, or physically adding a new drive, etc etc. It would take a further couple of minutes to install Steam. An a further, depends on the game, ten minutes to an hour to download a game.
So in less than two hours you could be a playful penguin.
calendar.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm such a sucker for Ubuntu - I really like how it works, so I'd probably go with that distro (plus, I'm most familiar with it). I've just added an Ubuntu Hyper-V container to see how well pass-through hardware works :).

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
At the moment, I use VMs, but it doesn't really let me test out the gaming side of things.

I don't run VMs cause my computer isn't powerful enough. Sometimes I run BlueStacks Android Emulator, but my RAM usages goes to 90% :eek::user::wall:

Ask a Question