ABIT UL8 Mobo - Socket Enclosure/AMD Heatsink Conductive Material

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Just had to strip down a newly built system as the Mobo failed. Motherboard was an ABIT UL8 and Processor Skt (AMD 64 3200+ Skt 939) is totally enclosed in a plastic frame so that you have to insert CPU first (as per), lock with lever, then Heatsink and Cooling Fan go on top of CPU and enter plastic frame, then clamped on - nothing new about this, you're right.

The Processer is a genyoowine AMD item in a box, with matching heatsink with pre-applied conductive material.

When I came to remove the CPU whilst stripping Mobo to return under warranty, could not lift heatsink from top of processor. No alternative but to heave harder (because of heatsink and CPU being in plastic box so couldn't get in to prise gently) and Heatsink came away with Processor firmly attached (without my being able to release locking handle). Pins look okay but I am wondering the following.

Has any damage been done to the CPU ?.

How do I separate the CPU and heatsink, as assuming I get a direct replacement Mobo, I won't be able to fit the CPU with the heatsink attached as I won't be able to operate the locking lever ?.

The grey heatsink conductive material has melted around the edges of the CPU where it meets the Heatshrink - assuming I manage to separate CPU and heatsink, do I just use standard thermal paste ?.

Any advice appreciated.

I am repeating this thread as a separate item to my previous posting about the UL8, althouigh the majority of this is in my replay to Covenant. However, I figure more people will read this as a new entry as it's not the same problem as before.

Stay Cool

Wessy Lad

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
wessy lad said:
Has any damage been done to the CPU ?.

Nobody can possibly know that until you try and boot from it again.

If there's no obvious signs of damage, ripped out or bent pins for instance, then I'd say it's unlikely to have been damaged. But you never know.

This is why I hate those thermal pads, they're sometimes too permanent.

Try putting CPU/cooler in freezer for 30 minutes or so (wrap them in a plastic bag to keep them dry) then take a very thin flat bladed screwdriver and gently try to prise them apart. If there's any give, use a wider bladed screwdriver to prevent risk of damaging CPU.

You can also run a Stanley Knife around the gap, but carefully, that may help.

You do risk damaging it but as far as I can see you have no choice but to prise them apart.

Assuming you manage to part them, remove all traces of old thermal pad. Use a blunt object like a piece of wood and use meths to loosen the stuff up. Meths may or may not work. If you can get your hands on some label remover, that may work.

And assuming, again, that all is clean, yes, use thermal compound to go between the CPU and cooler. A very very thin layer, evenly applied, Arctic Silver compound is best.

Reaction score
Thanks for that, I'll give it a go, although after finding stuff on an AMD site, you can use heat (ie radiator/hairdryer) as well and (theoretically !) you can gently separate them. Thanks for tip on Arctic Silver - no doubt the thermal pad will have covered the top of the CPU.
Rgds
Wessy Lad

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes, heat works as well, I've used both methods before.

Oddly enough, the cold method tends to work better on graphics card GPU's.

Whatever works for you - good luck.

Ask a Question