Pentium 4 805 Overclock or AMD Alternative

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.
I'm new, so best wishes to everyone out there from me at

I am about to start to build a new PC with a budget of around £450-£500. My start point was a skt 939 AMD 64 3500 and was happily going down this route with a barebones start :
Novatech Barebones bundle AMD Athlon 3200, Heatsink and Fan, 512MB RAM, Socket 939 Motherboard at £248. (unfortunately they have not replied to my emails asking for more spec and they don't state the mobo. I was going to increase the RAM to 1GB as well.

Anyways, I came across a new article on the Tom's Hardware (UK site) saying that the Pentium 4 805 dual core is THE most overclockable cpu ever going to 4.1.GHz and staying stable.
All for £86!!
I read the article http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores_uk/index.html
and it blew me away.

obviously excellent cooling is essential but it also advised care with the motherboard. The ones it used were a bit too pricey for me at £160- £200. I am a bit of a novice when it comes to choosing a motherboard and would appreciate any help and advice anyone could give me.

I am looking for a good quality budget board that supports this chip, is PCI-E, SATA-2, lots of expansion slots, easy BIOS controls with FSB and voltage contols.
All for less than say £100 if this is possible?

Also what does anyone think about going down this route. I'm not an Intel fan but this seems too good to be true.
(sorry its a long post!).

Reaction score
Hello steveb123 & welcome to PCReview
happywave.gif

Novatech are good & offer value for money, my own view is that with cpu's being the speed they are there is little point in clocking them, clocking does put more stress on the cpu & a decent heatsink & fan are required. Why do you want to overclock the cpu?

But if you do want to overclock & their is a risk doing it and you still want help or advice please post back here, may be in one of the threads on modding pc's.
Good luck:thumb:

Er, my mistake see you already have:blush:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks feckit.

Reasons for wanting to overclock?
In my (admittedly simple) mind, the P4 805 seemed to be offering a stable overclocked performance comaprable to cpu's that cost many hundreds of £'s. In addition to Tom's, Custom PC gave it a good review with 97% for value.

The problem is that I don't want to spend megabucks on the motherboards they used but also don't want to buy a cheapo one that doesn't allow voltage changes and has a low fsb speed.

Any suggestions.

Reaction score
Overclocking is great.

Could run my 2.8GHz P4 at 3.1GHz on stock cooling.

At the moment, AMD are top dog - so anything from them is good - Try and aim for a 3700 or above and a **DECENT motherboard and BRANDED power supply**

:)

Reaction score
Thanks christopherpostill.

Any suggestions for a
**DECENT motherboard and BRANDED power supply** ?

Reaction score
AMD are just better at the moment. Get a 3700+ San Diego, and then overclock it to fx-57 speeds.

Reaction score
PotGuy said:
AMD are just better at the moment. Get a 3700+ San Diego, and then overclock it to fx-57 speeds.

too late potguy.

I've ordered the components now - total cost £565.
Pentium 805
Asus P5ND2-SLI skt775 NFORCE4 SLI LAN 8channel audio USB2.0 DDR 2 up to 8 Gb
Corsair 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 667MHz 2x64Mx64 non-ECC 2x240
Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 NCQ 250GB SATA-II 8MBEbuyer 550w ATX Silent PSU with PFC and 12cm fanNEC ND4571 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer LabelFlash ReWriter (Silver)Arctic Cooler 7 ProJEANTECH - ATX PHONG 2 TOWER CASEXFX GeForce XXX Edition7600GT 256MB TV-Out 590/1600

mainly from yoytech.

Reaction score
oh well makes no odds. £90 for a processor which will overclock effortlessly is a great deal.

that is a nice spec for the price - what brand is power supply though?

Reaction score
The PSU is probably the weakness here. It's an Ebuyer gold value 550W. It was only £22 but it had lots of good customer reviews.

If it doesn't do the trick, I'll order something better and write off the £22.

Reaction score
steveb123 said:
The PSU is probably the weakness here. It's an Ebuyer gold value 550W. It was only £22 but it had lots of good customer reviews.

If it doesn't do the trick, I'll order something better and write off the £22.

Shouldnt skimp on the PSU... Since it had good customer reviews you should be alright.
Got a link for it? :D

Reaction score
Here is the link.
Just got the system up and running have O/C by a modest 10% PSU doing well etc and temp a steady 26 degrees after 3 hours (no load). just got to put the new XFX 7600 GT XXX Edition and old HDD on and I think I'll be very happy with it.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...=c2hvd3N1YmNhdGVnb3J5X3BhZ2U=&subcat_uid=1584

I'll post again on the correct thread when I'm finished.

Thanks for your comments.

Ask a Question