Well that backfired! :-)

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is more of a moan than anything! :)

I have a pretty powerful gaming machine that I built a while ago, you probably remember the thread! The one thing I regretted was putting 16gb RAM in instead of 32gb. So... I bought an extra 16 and got my son to install it with me - what a lovely thing to do.

When I put everything back together I manage to strip the wire for the external wifi antenna! F*CK!! Had to go buy a replacement from the local electronics store, so now instead of this daft little wire that connects to a desk top antenna I have a solid antenna plugged into the back of the machine.

Now the internet seems to be a little flaky, losing signal strength from time to time etc.

So, I've gone from a really stable machine to a machine that's a bit unstable when I need to be 100% working from home. Also, I've noticed absolutely no difference in performance since installing the extra RAM.

So, the takeout from all of this... sometimes things are better left alone.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh boy, been there done that... Frustrating isn't it! :wall:

Reaction score
I'm thinking I'll do a bit of research and see if there's 'better' wifi antenna's I can buy. The one I got was just from the local electronics shop and they only had 1 in stock. I wonder if I buy an Asus one (it's an Asus motherboard) whether that might fix the problem.

Also, anyone got any idea why instead of booting straight to windows, the machine stops at the bios / post screen each time I turn it on and I have to go into the bios and then out again? See picture.

Attachments

• IMG_1202.jpg
    IMG_1202.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 177
Reaction score
I wonder if a low BIOS battery could cause that?

Maybe. I did think that. It would be a bit of a coincidence that the first time I open it in 18 months the battery also dies. Unless I've dislodged it... :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Also, anyone got any idea why instead of booting straight to windows, the machine stops at the bios / post screen each time I turn it on and I have to go into the bios and then out again? See picture.
Did you try re-saving the memory settings as the info suggests? May sound silly of me to ask, but I didn't know if you'd tried that and got an error, or if re-saving memory settings still results in this message. I wonder if a BIOS reset and re-configure would sort it. I wonder if it's related to needing to update the memory timing settings to match the new RAM (were the sticks identical speeds/timings?).

Reaction score
Thanks Ian.

I have been into the bios and checked the memory setting etc. (they are 4 identical sticks - corsair vengeance 3200). I've had a really good look through the BIOS and can't see any other settings and I've closed and saved.

I guess the next thing might be to reset the bios?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't think there's any harm in trying a reset and see if that helps, as long as you're happy to re-configure things :thumb:.

Reaction score
Going from 16GB to 32GB won't make a difference unless you are opening many many different programs and spreadsheets etc. Should have left it at 16GB. I did and it's fine since I built it over 7years ago,

As for the BIOS. Yeah could be the battery. Save exit. Reboot. IF it does it again get a new coin cell. They only pennies ;) GL

Reaction score
Going from 16GB to 32GB won't make a difference unless you are opening many many different programs and spreadsheets etc. Should have left it at 16GB. I did and it's fine since I built it over 7years ago,

As for the BIOS. Yeah could be the battery. Save exit. Reboot. IF it does it again get a new coin cell. They only pennies ;) GL

yeah, learned my lesson. I do used a lot of things at the same time and do a lot of spreadsheet work etc. it was working fine. I just wanted to buy something

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
FWIW on two occasions I've added 16Gb RAM to an existing 16Gb of RAM and neither addition made a blind bit of difference to performance.

Both times the added RAM was identical to those sticks already in place. I don't do VR games and wondered if I did whether 32Gb would enhance performance.

I suppose the time will come when 32Gb memory will be required for latest games but imo that amount is not needed at present.

Reaction score
FWIW on two occasions I've added 16Gb RAM to an existing 16Gb of RAM and neither addition made a blind bit of difference to performance.

Both times the added RAM was identical to those sticks already in place. I don't do VR games and wondered if I did whether 32Gb would enhance performance.

I suppose the time will come when 32Gb memory will be required for latest games but imo that amount is not needed at present.

yeah, having done it I tend to agree.

I’ve got a bit of a desire to built a tiny itx pc so I might just NAB the 16gb out of that for the new build :)

Reaction score
Ok troops!

so, after my last backfired upgrade im about to embark on another :)

my 500gb Samsung 970 evo is getting pretty full. I’ve must bought a 970 plus 1tb which I’ll install this week. Now, so I have the 500 as my boot drive and the 1tb for games etc or the other way around?

also, do I take this opportunity to do a fresh windows install given it’s about 18 months since I installed it originally? The thought of reinstalling everything and setting things up again doesn’t excite me, but I do fancy a nice fresh install.

let me know what you think

Reaction score
The thought of reinstalling everything and setting things up again doesn’t excite me, but I do fancy a nice fresh install.
If you make a system image right after a clean install, you can always go back to that in the future instead of reinstalling everything.
I use IOEMI Backerupper Free:

Reaction score
If you make a system image right after a clean install, you can always go back to that in the future instead of reinstalling everything.
I use IOEMI Backerupper Free:

I've never done that, thanks. I'll take a look.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Fresh install of Windows 10 is a real pain. :mad: So many things one has to do to get it working. I did a fresh install on my laptop last week and I decided never ever to do it again, endless things to do, like, updates, configurations, different proprietory drivers, fine-tuning and customizing. Not forgetting to mention saying NO to so much crap Microsoft wants you to install/use. I guess I am really spoilt by the Linux distros which are up and running in less than an hour with everything working. The windows took almost an entire day!

I have decided to format my laptop hard drive and just install a Linux distro and leave all the space for the back up of my desktop. With a 750 GB drive on the laptop, it should be more than enough for everything.

Ask a Question