Google location history and WiFi networks.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So, as some of you might know I moved house recently, and obviously I took my router and other networking equipment with me.

You may also know that part of your location accuracy and history is derived from what WiFi networks are around you or you are connected to.

So as you may imagine if you move your router to a new address Google sees you connected to that router via the MAC address and assumes your still at the old address. Luckily I haven't moved far so its not the end of the world but imagine I'd move up north or something!

It seems there are two main ways to fix this...

1. Wait, and hope Google updates it systems, Apparently using your phone with both a WIFi connection and GPS might speed the process up, but its not certain. See - https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/JN3I16Obd1c

2. Buy a new router, but as this one (Asus AC-RT86U) is still quite new and wasn't cheap, no.

Anyone see a way to speed the process up!? I've tried leaving my phone on the windows sill with both WiFi and GPS signal but its not mad a difference.

By the way, if you were wondering how to stop your WiFi being mapped by Google in the first place you need to add "_nomap" (no quote marks) to the end of your SSID's. - https://support.google.com/maps/answer/1725632?hl=en

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
How weird, I hadn't realised there wasn't a way to change this. If you figure it out let us know!

its not the end of the world but imagine I'd move up north or something!

So moving North = The end of the world...?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just found this thread while looking for another.

If anyone was wondering, its sorted itself, sometime back in June. :)

Ask a Question