Fibre newbie - advice for new router / modem please.....

Reaction score
Our village will soon be upgraded to fibre once the cabinet is connected. It won't be fibre to the house, only fibre to the cabinet at the other end of the village. So I will still have a few hundred yards of copper to my house. I understand I need to get a new router plus a modem. My current wireless router is courtesy of PlusNet and is a re-branded Thompson. I realise I'm asking how long is a piece of string but any advice on fibre routers / modems would be much appreciated in terms of makes and models. Would I also need to change my gigabit switch. I also use a signal extender, would that need changing too?
I am keen to maximise the speed and don't mind paying more for good performance.

Cheers for any help.
Thanks

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What about the modem, do I need one of those as well??

Thanks

your NEW ISP will/should provide everything you need to connect to them. If they don't, find another provider, if they want to charge you, find another provider ... oh, and if they insist you need a BT line, ask them WHY?, even if it's BT.

:user:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
As said above, they should provide what you need, but they might give you a POS.

The Openreach modem (little white box) will be installed by the OR engineer when they visit.

As for the router, you can use whatever you like, I'm with Plusnet and use an Asus RT-N66u with Merlin custom firmware, has been super stable for the years I've had FTTC.

There are a few routers with a built in VDSL modem avaliable nnow if you don't want the stand alone one...

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...dband-router-options-uk-fttc-vdsl-isps.html/2

:)

Reaction score
Sincere thanks for everyone who replied. Great advice I'm sure. I just need BT to pull their finger out and give us a decent speed after over 23 years of mediocrity and underwhelming service.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
What ISP are you looking at?

Reaction score
Well, I'm currently with PlusNet and I must say I have no compliants. I've been with them about 4-5 years. In the past I've tried Virgin, TalkTalk, OneTel, BT, Tiscali, Talia and Zen.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
On a complete random note, just looking at your username has put this song in my head :D

Apologies :blush:

Ask a Question