Talk Talk Guest Network Router

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, so apologies if I've posted in the wrong section.

I currently have TalkTalk Super Fibre about 75mb download. The router provided doesn't support guest networks, so I'm thinking of completely replacing TalkTalk's router with the below: would it be simple as unplugging current router, plug this in set router up. For e.g wouldn't have to use Talk Talk router provided as a modem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013OXV...olid=SH0OYM16JP92&coliid=I1NG70WO8RTBP6&psc=1

Thanks,
Brandon

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi Brandon and welcome to PCR. :wave:

I'm pretty sure that you can use any router you like with TalkTalk. Friend of mine uses a non-TalkTalk router and has no problems whatsoever.

Reaction score
Hi Nivrip, thank you.

Okay awesome, are you able to recommend a fairly reasonably priced router that can provide guest networking? I posted the above link in the TalkTalk forums and it got shutdown instantly.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yep that'll work. :)

Its got a built in VDSL (fibre) modem so if you currently use an Openreach modem, the seperate white rectangled size box, you can bypass that.

Reaction score
Hi V_R,
Thanks for that. ARe you able to shine any light on my question above?

"Are you able to recommend a fairly reasonably priced router that can provide guest networking? I posted the above link in the TalkTalk forums and it got shutdown instantly."

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The one you've linked to will do the job, however I'd personally go for an "ac" router if possible - it'll be faster than the "n" wireless one you linked to. Although N300 should handle up to 300Mbps, which is faster than your connection, it'll tail off pretty fast when you are pushing the range in another room.

How big is the area you want to cover? I'd hate to suggest a budget router if you've got a large house and need something really powerful to cover a large area (or vise-versa).

The model up from the one you selected may be a good option, depending on your range requirements: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LFGTEI6/ (TP-LINK Archer VR400).

Reaction score
Hi Ian,
THanks for your response. ARe you able to link me to an "AC" router?

Just a 2 bed flat, with about 6-7 devices. Don't want to go any higher than £40 ideally!

This is what the Talk Talk guys said about the router:

Then that is a very outdated modem, which might account for its price. Its specification is much older than the HG633 that you have already.
Personal opinion - It's not supported by TalkTalk, It's only Wireless-N at 2.4GHz, the most congested wi-fi band...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The TP-LINK Archer VR400 is an AC router (from post #6 - I added the link after I initially posted it, so you may not have seen it yet). However, it's around £65. This would likely be my choice, as it seems good value.

As it's a 2 bed flat, you'll likely not need a super powerful router (which will reduce the cost), but the downside is you'll probably have lots of other people using 2.5Ghz N wifi nearby (as the TalkTalk member mentioned).

I'd certainly go for a 5Ghz AC router if possible, as it'll be less congested and you'll be able to take advantage of all of the benefits (5Ghz is lower range, but should do a 2 bed flat no problem).

There is a cheaper 5Ghz AC option (https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-Archer-D2-Wireless-Connections/dp/B00OA4YJFY/), but it doesn't have technology like beamforming - which can be a great asset when it comes to fast connections.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I echo what Ian said. I actually tired both the VR400 and the VR600 (See lans link above) when I was diagnosing an issue I was having with my connection.

The VR400 will be fine for your needs. :)

That said I went back to my 'old' Asus N66U and Openreach modem as I'm a big fan of the routers customisation and the custom firmware you can get for it.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
@Foley363 out of interest which TalkTalk router do you have ? I have the HUAWEI HG533 and it supports up to 4 guest networks.

Reaction score
Hi Ian,
Thanks for sending the links - I missed them first time around! That router seems ideal.

Cheers for your all help, guys.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Ian,
Thanks for sending the links - I missed them first time around! That router seems ideal.

Cheers for your all help, guys.
My pleasure - let us know what you think once you're up and running with it :D.

Welcome to PCR!