slow international connection on wireless

Reaction score
i have a 4Mbps DSL internet connection with 3 PCs connected through a router. 2 are connected wirelessly and the other is wired via an ethernet cable.

i noticed that when downloading a file from an international server, the transfer rate on the wireless PCs is 2-3 times slower than on the wired PC. the wireless PC would get about 150-200kb/s, whereas the wired PC can max out to 450kb/s on a single download.

however when i download from a local or nearby server instead, the transfer rate on the wireless and wired PCs are the same and can both reach up to 450kb/s per download.

i don't understand why the wireless connection is slower to international servers compared to the wired PC. don't they all go through the same router? or am i missing something?

my wireless signal is at 54Mbps with "excellent" strength. i also tested the ping results from both the wireless and wired PCs to international servers and they are pretty much the same. there doesn't seem to be any extra latency. '

- all PCs are running windows XP SP3
- the modem/router is a D-Link 2640B

hope somebody is able to help or explain what's happening. this problem has been driving me crazy for weeks. thanks!

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Wireless connections are slow compared to wired. This is natural.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router

The other question is a bit more in depth. There are thousands of routers out there that are used to direct traffic. If you are at home and surfing the internet, then every bit of information you see goes through your router at home. Ultimately, the data comes from one source in a thousand different paths. Networks work on something called "costing." A router builds a table of available routes to get information to a specific destination. When you call a server and request information, the server responds and begins transferring data. This information is stamped with the destination address (you) and off it goes. The machines and routers involved know that the address stamp is not on their network so they forward it on to the next device that it knows is in that direction. The process can occur many times with all sorts of restrictions.

Also, one thing to keep in mind is that the "international" server you are connecting to could be in some kids room with a crappy connection as well. The download speed on a connection is typically higher than that of an upload. If you were to run a speedtest on your connection from a wired machine, you will see a number for download that is much greater than the upload time. Apply this to if you had a server at your house providing information. If someone were to connect to your machine and grab something, it would not transfer very fast regardless of their download speed.

I could go on for days, but I won't. This is just a snippet of what happens when you click that download link.

Reaction score
thanks for the feedback. i get what you're saying but i don't think this is the case i'm explaining here. if i download the exact same file from the same location (international server), once using my wireless PC and another time using my wired PC, they both give consistently different speed results. doesn't matter how many times i test this or when, the wireless PC will peak about 200kb/s whereas the wired connection can max out at 450kb/s. i do believe the issue is on my end.

when downloading from local or nearby servers, the result is also consistent giving me 450kb/s on both wired and wireless every time.

if we disregard wireless signal issues (my signal is 54Mbps with "excellent" strength and capable of transferring at full rated DSL line speed), is it possible for wireless connections to have slower international connections than wired? i understand there are many possible paths the connection could take, but every time? my simple understanding is that they both go through the same router to access the internet so they should be about the same, at least on average. but obviously there's something i'm missing here.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
i do believe the issue is on my end

You are correct. The pipe into your house (DSL or Cable) is divided immediately when connected to a router. You are at the mercy of your router for the speeds available. The router decides how to divide the bandwidth to provide the best connection possible.

is it possible for wireless connections to have slower international connections than wired?

Yes. Wireless connections are, by design, slower than wired connections. A wired connection can obtain speeds of 1000mbps (with the right equipment) where as your wireless indicates 54mbps. At that point, yes the problem is at your end. Connect via wire to obtain the highest speed from the router. Connecting via wireless is both slower and dependant on line of sight. If you go around a wall or outside, then the signal is diminished which, in turn, lowers the speed at which you can obtain data.

To test your connection speed, do not rely on the speeds given by a server from which you download files. Again, this connection depends on your download speeds, router configuration and relies heavily on the upload speed of the remote server. Chances are that you are seeing the connection speed the exact same each time because the test is exactly the same each time. Try a speed test website. This will test with the closest available server and, I believe, you have the option to set an international one as well. This will vary from test site to site.

You can also eliminate your router as the issue. For example, at my house, I have a cable modem which attaches to the router. Disconnect the router uplink and connect it via wire to the PC. Try your speed test again without the router. Naturally, you will see a fairly decent speed. You will need to do a bit of configuration to test a wireless connection like this. In the end, that will have to go through your router.

Ask a Question