Hotel security using wireless

SC Tom

Whenever I travel, I bring my Netgear WGR614v9 router with me, and connect
through it to the hotel's network. Most of the ones where I stay have both
wired and wireless connections, which is no problem- I connect my router to
their UTP and connect from my laptop to my router, giving a more secure
connection through it.

Some of the hotels have wireless only, so my question is, is there anyway to
connect through my wireless to their wireless? I don't think the wireless
repeating option would work for a more secure connection since I would have
to change my SSID to be the same as the hotel's, along with my IP and subnet
(and probably the same passphrase). Also, I would have to set my security to
WEP or "none". Not really a choice, I wouldn't think.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm willing to try 'em out. I was thinking maybe
VPN to my home PC, but I haven't messed with that since my XP days :) I
have been reading about Hamachi, but haven't installed or tested it yet.
TIA!

SC Tom

Grinder said:
You could use a wireless extender like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315112

It will allow you to connect wireless to the hotel's network, and give you
a wired port with which you can connect your router.

That may work, but looking through the manual, I'm not too sure. The hotel
network requires authentication (usually the room number and guest's last
name). That's done through a web interface, so I don't know if that would
work through the device interface or not. Also, it looks like the port is
only for configuration, not as a data port.
I have an email address for their support. Maybe I'll shoot them one and see
if they respond.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll post back if I hear anything from their
support.

SC Tom

Grinder said:
I should probably elaborate a little here. Several times, I have used the
aforementioned device to act as a wireless adapter for a wired-only
device.

For example, the last time was for a client that had a wired-only bluray
player they wanted connected so they could watch netflix. The player was
in an entertainment center where it's inconvenient to drop a cable to, so
I just plugged in the wi-fi extender behind the unit. It took all of 3
minutes to tell the device to connect to the existing wi-fi network, and
to string a cable to the blueray player.

Here's the response I got from Edimax (my question is at the bottom). I
ordered one to test it out. If it doesn't do what I want, I can send it back
(gotta love Amazon :) ).
Plus, the travel router is ~$3 cheaper.
Hi, Tom:

Thank you for the inquiry.
I could understand your requirement.

I think our BR-6258n travel router may better fit your need.
The Wi-Fi network of a hotel can be referred as a WISP (Wireless Internet
Service Provider).
Unlike Cable or DSL providers which has a cable/dsl modem, the WISP uses
wireless signal to provide Internet service.

Our BR-6258n support WISP mode for Internet connection.
http://www.edimax.us/html/Faq/BR6258n-WISP.pdf
I briefly checked the NetGear WGR614v9. It seems not support WISP function.
You may want to check with NetGear's support to verify it.

If you have our BR-6258n, you may try the BR-6258n connect to the WiFi
network of your NetGear as a practice.

While you are at hotel, do NOT let your computer connect to the hotel Wi-Fi
network. If you do that, hotel's wifi network will register your WiFi
computer and may not allow another WiFi device to connect to their network.

Instead, make the computer connect to the Wi-Fi network of BR-6258n and
perform the WISP set up in BR-6258n. While you try to access Internet, you
will be prompted for the hotel's sign-on page. Type in your authentication.
The BR-6258n should get on Internet and suppose all of your wi-fi devices
can get on Internet through BR-6258n.

Please feel free to contact me for any further assistance.

Best regards,
Judy Chang
Tech Support
Edimax USA