Can anyone help???

Reaction score
I have an old desktop pc that runs windows xp and a new acer laptop 5750G. I recently bought a D-Link Wireless N 300 ADSL2+ modem/router so that I could use my laptop downstairs and keep my PC upstairs and hidden from sight.

I managed to originally connect the D-Link wirelessly to my laptop, however now that I've tried to connect the PC back up again, the wireless connection has been removed and to run both with internet, I need to have a wired connection with my laptop to the router.

Can anyone help me out here with how to have both connected (the PC wired, the laptop wireless) as simply as possible, as I am no longer a tech head about these things.

Thanks,

Naru

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Do you have a wireless facility - a card or built in to the motherboard - in your desktop PC?

And I wondered - why do you want to keep your Desktop PC hidden from sight and if you are no longer a tech head were you once a tech head? If so what happened?

Inquiring souls have to know :)

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
The simple answer:

install the router by the PC and connect via ethernet. Configure your laptop to connect via wireless connection as you have already configured. Depending on the location of the DSL modem, you may need to run a line to connect the modem to the router.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The simple answer:

install the router by the PC and connect via ethernet. Configure your laptop to connect via wireless connection as you have already configured. Depending on the location of the DSL modem, you may need to run a line to connect the modem to the router.

Sometimes you gotta think out the box :thumb:

Ask a Question