Sky Internet - One of the laptops in our house can't connect to Internet

Reaction score
Hi,

Was hoping somebody might know what might be wrong with my laptop.

We live in a shared house, and there are 3 laptops in the house. One of the laptops just doesn't connect, the other do.

Although the network icon called 'access:local internet" to bottom right hand screen shows laptop connected - we still can't connect it.

When we try to connect via internet explorer icon, and a window appears that states:

"internet explorer cannot display the webpage".

I click on:
"Diagnose connection problems"

We get a window that displays a message:
" Windows Network Diagnostics".

Then a window appears which states:
"Cannot communicate with Primary DNS Server (194.168.4.100)
Network diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response"
There is an option:
"Reset the network adapter ' wireless network connection'
resetting the adapter can sometimes resolve an intermittent problem".

That's it. We have already tried resetting wireless router, which makes no difference.

Would appreciate it if anyone can help and has maybe come across this problem before.

Thanks!

Fi

Reaction score
Have you set up the router & got the right passwords etc for the sky wireless router etc?

Reaction score
Yes. Because the other 2 laptops work, and the wireless router is all set up and works fine with those laptops.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This may sound a little obvious but have you searched for wireless connections on the laptop that won't connect? You may need to re-enter the password for the router as sometimes Windows will have a hiccup and lose it. Try that.

I'm assuming it's a wireless connection and you're using a version of Windows.

Has this laptop worked with the router previously?

If it's a wireless connection does the laptop have a wireless facility? (Obvious question, I know, but worth asking).

And you could try putting the laptop next to the router and try connecting with a LAN cable to see if that works. If a wired connection works suspect either a faulty wireless facility in the laptop or look to re-connecting the laptop to the router

Reaction score
Does the Router have MAC filtering?

If so has your MAC been entered to allow connection?

Maybe a new card is needed?

Reaction score
With each laptop you still need to input the password & router connection details.
(Well you do with Sky Fibre Optic)
Do you when searching not have a local wireless network ie: yours to connect to?
What spec is this laptop?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have checked all of your suggestions - except using a LAN wire (which I will do when I find one), and the MAC code setting.

The wireless router in our house works with 2 other laptops - so I am nervous about changing the router settings - when it works with other laptops.

I have taken my laptop to 2 other houses, where the wireless card workswith 2 different routers, at 2 different houses - its just the router at my house that it doesn't seem to work with.

So really not sure what the problem is. :confused:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Did you used to have Virgin?

Click on Start and then Control Panel > Networking and sharing centre and then click on Change adapter settings. Right click on the adaptor and choose properties.
Highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 and click on Properties.
Click obtain DNS server address automatically and press Ok. Do the same for obtain IP address automatically.

Does the router use DHCP? Is it enabled?

Ask a Question