WiFi connection issues

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum so please be gentle...lol

We've recently had a new housemate move into our humble abode and we can't seem to get his laptop to connect to our wifi. My desktop pc (windows 7) and laptop (vista) both connect to the wifi network we have in the house and so does our other housemates laptop (windows xp). All of our phones happily connect to the network too.

The situation is as follow, he has a laptop with windows vista and I've tried everything to get it connected. It works fine if I plug an ethernet cable from the router to his laptop but no luck with the wifi connection. Thinking that his wifi in his laptop was shot I installed and tested the usb wireless card I use for my desktop into his laptop (knowing this is functioning normally) and still no luck. Windows keep saying unable to connect and when it tries to work out the problem it just says timeout and to try restarting the router. I tried typing in an incorrect password to see if we get a different error and it notes that the password is incorrect. So it seems the laptop is communicating with the router, but just won't connect...any ideas??

PS If anyone needs any more info (laptop model, router model) let me know and I'll try and supply anything extra I can

Reaction score
Thanx for the quick reply and reference to that thread...

I'll have to double check that when I get home, but I thought I'd checked it before because I was thinking along the same lines that something must have been deactivated...the queries in that thread talk on that windows says that its not the primary software for wifi connections, but the windows WLAN is what I have been using and finds all the networks easy enough, it just gets a timeout every time it tries to connect to the network.

I've also checked all the main settings and everything I can think of is set to 'automatic' (IP address etc)...I must be missing something, just can't put me finger on what it is. I suspect its something really basic that I've just overlooked...

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
sounds like a router/pc configuration issue. Do you have security on the router? If you can see the wireless network, you should have the basics set up already. If you have a passkey setup and the machine is not configured to the proper security protocol, it may not connect. I would recommend dumping any security that you have (reset it once you validate the machine will connect) and reboot the router. Applying those settings will most likely soft boot the router. Once it comes back up, remove the power from the router, wait 10-15 seconds and plug it back in (hard boot). Then test the connection to your network.

I have a DLink that is on the fritz in my home office doing similar things. Reboots temporarily resolve the problem while I am seeking an adequate replacement.

Reaction score
Id probably say its more of a pc issue than a router issue. I've tried to autoconfig and manually config the connection on the laptop using the exact security setting (WPA etc) and all I keep getting is a connection timeout - like I said earlier if I try it with the wrong password it tells me I've typed the wrong one so I know they are talking to eachother.

I'm away from the house on work business at the moment so when I get back I'll give it a go without any security settings....if it does work I don't see how this will solve the issue as I don't want to leave the network with no protection on it?? - hope that doesn't sound like I'm belittling your comment as it wasn't meant to, I was just thinking on how resolve the issue completely (i.e. Connect to wifi with security)

Thanx for the suggestion though, and as I said I'll give it a crack when I'm back home....

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
no worries. It's a test suggestion, that's all. If you drop the security, then you have nothing that should inhibit the laptop from connecting. If it connects, then you will know that it is something with your security. Try stepping that up a level at a time. I have seen machines that did not like WPA-Enterprise (when it was new).

If you still cannot connect to an open wireless router, and your device is configured for the open connection, something else is wrong.

Reaction score
Go to device manager roll back the driver on the wireless adapter, then etho plug and update the driver via the internet. There is an option under network settings somewhere when trying to connect wirelessly and insert password, make sure u select the right encryption settings ie WPA2 enterprise is not the same as WEP. Just a suggestion...
-James

Reaction score
A 5yr old thread is re-born...we are blessed..for sure it is the 3rd coming........:p

Ask a Question