Mobile / WiFi

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Ok this is a bit of a strange one. I have a Samsung Galaxy Alpha mobile. Battery life on it is pretty good. I get a good 4 days use out of it before needing to recharge and that is with listening to music and Facebook / Whatsapp use.

When I am at home I connect to my home WiFi ( TalkTalk) and all is good.

Now comes the problem. I am at my brothers for two weeks looking after his dogs while he is away. I connect to his WiFi ( BT ) and my battery is nailed in one day and needs a recharge.

Question is why is there such a difference ? I mean WiFi is WiFi isn't it ?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
are you connecting using the modem's wifi direct, ie, you told your phone what the add is & password ... or are you just connecting as a BT hotspot ... if the latter, then your phone is roaming & searching for the wifi, that can use up battery quickly.

then again, it (your phone) might not like the change, maybe a cat lover? :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
More likely a worse cell signal, that has a huge impact on battery life. Wifi on the other hand has very little affect on battery life.

What about background apps/services? Anything unusually high in the battery usage stats?

I'd put my money on your mobile signal being a lot poorer at your brothers. I have a terrible signal at work and my battery is shocking during the day. While at home I have a very good signal - It's noticeably different between the two locations. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Did a factory reset on the phone and all seems to be OK now :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Seems a bit extreme but whatever works I guess. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Fair enough. What is your mobile signal like at your brothers out of interest?

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Fair enough. What is your mobile signal like at your brothers out of interest?

Depends what part of the house I am in. At the back of the house only about 2 bars, but that could be because of the huge RSJ beam on that side of the house. In the front I get full signal.

Ask a Question