Access Point with same SSID

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
We've got a frustrating wifi black spot at one point in our house, which would be hard to cover by moving the router (as its wired to our main PCs).

I'm tempted to buy a wireless access point and connect it to homeplug we've got downstairs, as this should cover the wifi blackspot.

My question is, am I going to have any problems with having the same SSID (I'll use the correct channel placement). I'd ideally like any wifi devices to jump between the router/AP seamlessly - is that likely to happen as long as the user/pass are the same?

I'd be interested in any thoughts from anyone that has set this up before.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks V_R - yep, I've got Sky BB, but I'm using a Draytek router to get more flexibility. As it happens, I ordered one of the wireless boosters a couple of weeks ago but it's yet to dispatch. However, it looks like it's just a signal repeater rather than an access point which was what prompted me to look at alternatives.

I'm thinking about flashing the old Sky router with some open firmware and then just set that up as an AP, plugged in to one of the homeplugs.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Perfect! Thanks for that link - yes, DD-WRT or something similar was what I was hoping to use - but that guide is a 2-in-1.

Cheers V_R!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Haha, I did nothing, Though reading that gives me an idea.... :D

Ask a Question