Ubiquiti UniFi for Home Networks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've switched a lot of our old home networking hardware out for UniFi equipment, partly in preparation for having most parts of the house wired (once it warms up a bit, as I'll be up a ladder for hours)!

I've got a USG (security gateway - acts a central router) a couple of switches and a couple of WiFi access points. It wasn't cheap to do, but it should last me a long, long time and mean we've got a rock solid network. It works like enterprise level hardware at consumer level pricing - even though I bought "low end" UniFi kit, it still has features like deep packet inspection and intrusion detection (not that useful for me, but it gives an impression of the level of features).

If you want to check out a demo of what the management interface looks like, check out this link (it's really good!):
https://demo.ubnt.com/manage/site/default/dashboard

I'd thoroughly recommend it if you're looking for high-end home networking equipment - I'm very pleased that I went for this stuff. I really liked my old Draytek router/modem and my Orbi wireless, but I ended up with a mess of different switches and hardware. If I didn't need some of the advanced features, I'd have just moved to Orbi and scrapped a lot of the additional hardware.

There are some teething problems I'm having getting Sonos to work over VLANs, but I think that is down to my misconfiguration, rather than a problem with the hardware. Despite these little niggles, I'm very impressed :).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ubiquiti stuff has always interested me, but I've always thought it a bit OTT for my use. My Asus RT-AC86U serves me well enough for now. I do love the look of the Ubiquiti stuff though, especially the AP's.

Will be interested to see the final result. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll update this thread in a couple of months once I've had a really good play with it :). Yep, I agree it's overkill for most cases, especially with so many good routers out now - but it works really well when more than one AP is needed.

Reaction score
We use a couple of Ubiquiti Unifi AP AC LR's - they look really smart mounted on the ceiling and work well. Manage them from the iPhone app too so dead simple and they are POE so all you need is a single CAT6 cable into the back, and job done.

Photo:

Attachments

• IMG_1405.JPG
    IMG_1405.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 122

Ask a Question