How to access network drives over the internet?

Reaction score
Hi is it possible to access network drives of my home network via internet from all over the world?

Situation:
Ive got a DrayTek Vigor2700 router. The DrayTek router is located in the first floor and is hooked up to the phone line. It creates Wireless network (called "default") for the first floor. On the second floor there is an AirPort Extreme Basestation. Its hooked up to the DrayTek by ethernet and creates a network (called "AirPort Extreme"). To the AirPort there is a 500 gb USB drive and a USB printer connected.

SO:
1 floor: DrayTek hooked up to the phone line creating a network
2 floor: AirPort Extreme hooked up to the DrayTek via ethernet, creating a new network. Got 500gb USB drive and a USB Printer connected to the AirPort.

AIM:
I want to be able to access the USB drive and the printer over internet. I dont have a MobileMe acc, and i dont want to create one. I know it would be much easier if the AirPort would be hooked up to the phone line directly, but Its not possible...

PLEASE HELP ME

Reaction score
It's possible..... but within an hour or so, someone or thing would have compromised your system.

So I'm not saying how to do it.

Sorry.

Reaction score
How do you mean you cant tell me... I need it very much. I will set up my security settings alone.
And if you worry that much, contact me via email or personal message :D

Last edited:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
As already said the security will be somewhat of a concern, its up to you if you want to go ahead with it

Assuming the hard drive has a web interface and an IP assigned to it by the airport extreme adapter then its pretty simple, set the DMZ in your draytek router to the IP address that's been assigned to the hard drive. To access it from the internet you need to put your home internet connection IP address into the web browsers address bar, that should send you straight to the hard drives web interface

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply... How do I assign an IP to the hard drive? And what is the DMZ? And what if I had an own domain? Do I still need to put the IP (which is pretty dumb to remember)? The domain is via DynDNS.com. I really appreciate your help... but im new to this stuff :D so little easier explanation would be needed.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the airport extreme, It may be worth checking out the apple support forums for questions regarding it.

If you check the router manual section 3.3.2 it tells you all about setting up the DMZ server.

From the looks of it you need to configure the Airport extreme so that the hard drive is accessible from the WAN and to set the DMZ to be the IP of the Airport extreme

You could get a domain if you wanted and use that, i assume you have a static IP address?

Reaction score
SO... What I did:
I didnt manage to assign a IP for the AirPort E. disk.
I turned on the WAN thing.
To the DMZ IP adress (at the Draytek) I gave in the ip of the AirPort (192.168.1.10)
Into my browser (Firefox Mac) I put in smb://the home ip (found it at the draytek control panel)
viola it shows up the drive using Finder (explorer of mac). Im not sure its really working ok as im on my home network... Now how do I access the drive via my own DynDNS domain?

**FIX**
Every time I drop the PPPoE the home ip adress changes. Whats strange that in the dyndns.com account (under section My Services in the acc. management) the home ip adress changes too.. I added my domain under DNS in the Draytek....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nice... So now Im able to access my drives. I would like to share the printer on the AirPort E. via internet. Any suggestions how to set up (both mac and windows machines)???

Ask a Question