USB Parallel cable on Router Print Server

JJF

Reaction score
I have an old HP officejet R80xi all in one printer. It works great and I hate to not use it as it was a parallel cable hook up to an old Win 98se IBM Aptiva that I no longer have. I know that they make adapter / cables for parallel to USB. I also have a new NETGEAR wireless router with a USB 2.0 port specifically for a network printer and a USB 3.0 port specifically for a network drive.
My question is this - do you think an adapter / cable could turn my old HP printer into a network printer on that router and if so, do you have a recommendation on an adapter/cable that would work? Thanks for any help you can give.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've never tried using a Parallel port printer with a USB router - it may well work, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. I did some reading and it does look like some people have been able to use a cable like this with a router based print server, so I've got my fingers crossed for you.

I notice that you're US based, so it may be worth buying a cable like this from Amazon - if it doesn't work you may be able to return it. Plus, it's only $8, so not the end of the world if it doesn't work:

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Parallel-Printer-Adapter-CB-CN36/dp/B00IDU0T1Y/

Good luck! Please do let us know if you try it and if it works or not :).

Welcome to PCR! :D

Ask a Question