Netgear router "died"

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
This morning, I got up to find that the router was, apparently, "dead."

It's a two-year-old Netgear WNR2200 wireless router (although our two desktops are connected to it via ethernet cables.)

Anyway, in a fit of technical genius :blush: I unplugged the Netgear from the power supply, and re-connected to a different socket. Then I gave the button on the back of the router a press and - big relief - its little light display returned.

Fwiw, the "old" socket has not failed, I've just tested it. :thumb:

I close-down the desktops each night, but it is my habit to leave the router alone. (I do re-boot it occasionally, of course.) But this is the first time this has happened. (Its up-time would probably have been a few months.) So could it just have been demanding a re-set? Or could it have been some other cause, do you think? In other words.... should I be worried?

(Please excuse my lack of technicalities here... I confess that routers are normally something that I like to set-and-forget.)

Thank you for looking. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That does seem a bit strange if all the lights were out and it wasn't responding, so perhaps it's on it's way out but working for the time being :). My router will very occasionally balls-up, but a quick reset and it's fine for another 6 months - but it's more that the software running has done something wrong, rather than a power-down.

One to keep an eye on perhaps! Have you got a secondary router or mobile internet on your phone should it happen again?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply @Ian. :)

Have you got a secondary router or mobile internet on your phone should it happen again?
No I don't :eek: but, I have to say that I am seriously thinking it would be a good idea to have a new router "on-standby." So I think I might get one during this coming week. :nod:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you've got an Argos or PC World near you it may not be much of a worry I guess, I keep forgetting how easy it is to buy things like this now! :).

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
If you've got an Argos or PC World near you it may not be much of a worry I guess,
You know ... I keep forgetting about those! We have an Argos in town, and a PC World just down the road - although it's one of the smaller branches, so sometimes stock is a bit limited. My first thought is nearly always Amazon! :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Exactly the same here, my first thought was if the router fails how will you get to Amazon to order another :lol:. Anything tech/gadget related, Amazon is usually my first port of call.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
PCWorld ... I know you can order online, if not in stock, can have the thing delivered to your local shop for the next day ... I have done this.

Worst case, you out of Tinternet for 24hr, I'm sure you can find something else to do. ;)

I wouldn't buy a second router as a stand by, just in case ... may as well buy another system, just in case, or another fridge, just in case or another TV licence, just in case. :lol:

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Exactly the same here, my first thought was if the router fails how will you get to Amazon to order another :lol:. Anything tech/gadget related, Amazon is usually my first port of call.
It's on order, so should be delivered tomorrow. I have found previous Netgears to be pretty reliable, but would rather not leave it to chance. :thumb:
Worst case, you out of Tinternet for 24hr, I'm sure you can find something else to do. ;)
My husband is not overly mobile right now, but he thoroughly enjoys surfing around, so I think I'd rather have a standby which will get us up-and-running again fairly quickly... if the old router should decide to self-destruct. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just to conclude - good old Amazon delivered my new router yesterday, as promised.

The old one seems to be functioning just fine, (looks like it didn't die, so much as just decide to take a rest!) But hey, peace of mind and all that... :thumb:

Ask a Question