How to setup home network?

Reaction score
I'm gonna buy laptop Asus X59GL-Vista Home Premium (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150324) and would like to setup a wireless network. Unfortunately, I know nothing about networking and even less about wireless.

From random websites it seems like I need

1. Modem router
I have a wired thomson ST330 modem so should I be looking at sticking a router after it or buy a modem router?

2. Laptop network card
The specs for the laptop state (802.11b/g/n; Wireless LAN Intel 3945 BGN, LAN; Fax/Modem 56Kbps). What extra do I need to buy?

3. Printer
I have a brother DCP145C which specifies (USB, USB host) - how do I put it on network?

802.11 b/g/n - the alphabets I believe signify speed - is speedier the better, or are there other pitfalls that I need to be aware of?

Any recommended reading material on how to set up home network and security?
Thanks
Klaus

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/246

happywave.gif

Reaction score
The article was a huge help, thanks! Ideally I'd like to buy a router modem with a (USB) print server so I dont have to worry about either plugging my printer to my laptop or set it up via a PC (which I dont currently have anyway). Any recommendations?

Reaction score
I did find some Belkin routers with USB on them to connect USB printers but I also came across a number of complaints where printer-scanners havent worked well wireless (especially the scanner part). So I've decided to play safe and go with a netgear router for my laptop and I'll manually connect (laptop) to the printer, when required. It's a bummer but at least I know that my next printer will be networkable :blush:)

Ask a Question