Laptop on Home Network Help

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having a problem with my home network which is setup as follows:
Cable Internet modem to wireless linksys router
1 desktop connected wirelessly to network, 2 laptops connnected wirelessly, and a network hard drive cat5'd into the router.

All my computers can access each other's files and printers except for one of the laptops. Everything was working fine, but suddenly, it is as if my laptop disappeared from the network. It's on the same workgroup and everything and I still get internet on my laptop, and, I can access other computers' files and printers. When I go to My Network Places, it only shows folders from the other computers and the network drive. Then, when I go to Workgroup computers, it only shows the desktop, the other laptop, and the network drive.

What can I do?

Reaction score
Because everything else is still okay, but just the laptop has disappeared, sounds like a problem with something specific to that device, probably the wireless network card on the laptop?

Could also be someone else starting up a wireless network nearby, which is interfering with the laptop. I had that problem and eventually could only get rid of it by switching channels until the connection came back.

Jock

Ask a Question