Windows 10 Laptop

Reaction score
Having bought a new comp a year ago and got rid of my old Windows 7 Desktop and Laptop I've now realised if anything went drastically wrong with it, I have no other alternative - apart from my Phone!!
So can anyone recommend a not too expensive 15 inch laptop (less than £500 =circa $620), preferably Dell, HP, Acer.
Would also use it outside the home.
I only use it for general browsing, music, photos, emails etc so just need something reliable.
Thanks
Biscuitman

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I personally am a fan of Lenovo since I originally used the IBM laptops since 90's and went through 6 of them over a period of 2 decades. I still have one with me. My desktop is a Lenovo which is what used to be IBM before. I particularly like Lenovo since their support is very good and they have a great set of software to work on. They are absolutely very reliable too and support Linux if at all you want to go that way in the future.

I am in the US so I cannot really tell you the model numbers and the actual availability in your area. Check some models you like and you are more than welcome to post your findings here. I will be happy to look into it and give suggestions if you like.

Good Luck

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I particularly like Lenovo since their support is very good

Can't agree with you there, Quad. I have a Lenovo desktop and am very happy with it now. But, when I needed Support it was abysmal. A problem developed two weeks before the warranty expired and without any quibbles Lenovo arranged for it to be picked up and repaired. They stated that It would be returned within 10 days. Six weeks and many emails later I was still waiting. My emails became very vitriolic in the final weeks which I'm sure helped, I finally got it back after seven weeks. Whilst waiting I went onto their Forums and was amazed by the number of serious complaints about their Support Services. Many people had even longer delays than I had. I vowed to never buy another Lenovo.

When it did come back one of the legs of the stand was broken !! When I contacted Support about it they suggested that I send the whole thing back so that they could fix it. I told them that I wasn't letting them have it again and to just send me a new stand. This they did and I fixed it myself.

I suppose we all have different experiences but that was my take on their Support Services.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Can't agree with you there, Quad. I have a Lenovo desktop and am very happy with it now. But, when I needed Support it was abysmal.

I suppose we all have different experiences but that was my take on their Support Services.

Sorry to hear that. As I said my experience has been great. Since I am in the US I cannot say how it would be different on the other side of the pond, it appears from what you say it is different.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I only use it for general browsing, music, photos, emails etc so just need something reliable.

Take your pic, it won't matter that much, just make sure it has at least 8gigs ram!

Reaction score
Thanks Guys, all useful information.
I'll take on board the 8 Gigs recommendation and I'll probably go for something like a Dell or HP. I'm currently off Chinese products (!) so it seriously limits my choices. I've always had Dell desktops since 2003 and always been happy with them. Previous laptops were both Toshiba and they were OK too. Didn't realise Lenovo laptops were previously IBM but obviously now owned and manufactured in China. Looks like my £500 limit will be just enough.
Thanks again
Biscuitman

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Just a quickie... is the Ryzen 5 2500U mobile processor Ok for normal use?

The AMD Ryzen 5 2500U is an excellent laptop APU with strong integrated Vega graphics. Many gamers use it for it speed and it multithreading capability. So to answer your question YES!

Ask a Question