Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Windows 10 Discussion in 'Windows' started by V_R, Oct 17, 2017.

1. V_R

V_R ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Moderator

Releasing today!

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/141660/comes-windows-10-fall-creators-update

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/upcoming-features

Here's a comprehensive list of whats new, expand it to see it all, its a long list. :)

V_R, Oct 17, 2017
    EvanDavis and Ian like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. V_R

V_R ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Moderator

How to get the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

"Beginning today at 10 a.m. P.T., the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update will start rolling out to Windows 10 PCs across the world in phases, starting with newer machines first.

As with the Creators Update, the key to our phased approach is actively listening to all available feedback mechanisms and making the appropriate product updates during the rollout. This allows us to provide a high-quality experience for the broadest set of users at an accelerated rate, while also continually increasing the quality and security of Windows 10. This was our approach with the Creators Update released in April and user feedback on this approach was very positive.

For the best experience, we recommend you wait until Windows 10 is automatically offered to your device. You don’t have to do anything to get the update; it will roll out automatically to you through Windows Update if you’ve chosen to have updates installed automatically on your device. Once the download is complete and the update is ready to install, we’ll check with you, so you can pick the right time to finish the installation and reboot. We do this so we can ensure the update does not disrupt you, and we use active hours to help suggest a good time.

If you don’t want to wait for the update to roll out to you, you can manually check for updates on your personal PC using the steps below. This will only work if your device is eligible to get the Fall Creators Update as part of the initial roll out phase. Alternatively, you can manually get the update today via the Software Download Site. This option is only recommended for advanced users on devices running a licensed version of Windows 10. If you’re using a Windows 10 PC at work, you will need to check with your IT administrator for details on your organization’s specific plans to update."

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/10/17/get-windows-10-fall-creators-update/

Or if like me you can't wait....
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

:D

V_R, Oct 17, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. V_R

Ian Administrator

Ian, Oct 17, 2017
  4. V_R

V_R ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Moderator

I'm back! Its working!

Only issue I had was it reset my desktop background to the stock Win10 one. Other than that so far so good.

I have noticed they've moved some more settings to settings from the CP, which I don't mind, but I do wish they'd pick one or the other ffs.

V_R, Oct 17, 2017
  5. V_R

Ian Administrator

It looks like they're gradually getting rid of it, as they've really hidden the CP away now. It seems an odd way to have settings split over both settings and CP for so long.

Ian, Oct 18, 2017
  6. V_R

V_R ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Moderator

Indeed, I have no real issue with the settings app, aside from the huge waste of space in places but it annoys me that its all split between the two. My solution would be have both and let the user choose which they use. Simple.

I've now uninstalled Start10 too! *Shock*

Decided to actually give the default W10 start menu a real try. Its not that bad at all tbh once you've customised and tweaked it to your liking.

V_R, Oct 18, 2017
  7. V_R

V_R ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Moderator

Oh and if you were wondering it took about 15-20 minutes and rebooted a couple of times during the process.

V_R, Oct 18, 2017
    Ian likes this.
  8. V_R

EvanDavis Silly Fool

I find I actually use the Cortana search more than I use the start menu.

EvanDavis, Oct 18, 2017
  9. V_R

nivrip Yorkshire Cruncher

Chose to download it today whilst I was in rather than it download automatically when I could be out or asleep. Surprised how long it took - ages, but got there eventually. :)

Doesn't seem much different. A few changes on the start menu but otherwise more or less the same.

All very straightforward. :)

nivrip, Oct 18, 2017
  10. V_R

EvanDavis Silly Fool

Things that went wrong.
    Had to re-install Logitech Gaming Software for my Logitech G29 wheel & pedals.
    Had to re-install nVidia GeForce Gaming Experience.
    Had to re-install Whatsapp Desktop app.
    All the W10 features I un-installed when I first got W10 seem to be back.

Otherwise all seems Ok and took around 15 minutes :thumb:

EvanDavis, Oct 18, 2017
  11. V_R

V_R ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Moderator

Here's an odd one I've noticed since installing the FCU.

When my PC is off, if I move the mouse or press a key on the keyboard, they will light up as if the machine is on. only way to turn them off is to flip the switch on the back of the PSU or the the PC on then off again.

I've not had much time to investigate but will try and work it out later this week, nothings changed other than the FCU and I can't find any USB power options in the BIOS that would cause it.

Anyone got any ideas?

V_R, Oct 23, 2017
  12. V_R

Ian Administrator

Not a clue - that is really strange :eek:. The only thing I can think of is that the machine isn't actually fully shut down. You don't happen to have "fast startup" enabled do you?

Ian, Oct 23, 2017
    V_R likes this.
  13. V_R

V_R ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Moderator

I don't think so, unless the update enabled it, will have to check. I certainly can't turn the machine on via the M&KB they just light up.

I assumed it something to do with the USB sockets still getting power - for charging mobile phones etc when the PC is off. Which I know I could do before, and still can.
    So obviously I expected some USB power setting in the BIOS but can't find anything amiss. and its not like the FCU would have changed any of the BIOS settings anyway so I'm not sure what's causing it all of a sudden!

V_R, Oct 23, 2017
  14. V_R

V_R ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Moderator

Son of a bitch.

Just logged into the PC from work. Fast startup was on. The update must have changed that, I'm 99.9% sure I turn it off.

Will have to wait until I get home to see if its fixed it or not.

Cheers Ian! :thumb:

V_R, Oct 23, 2017
    Ian likes this.
  15. V_R

Ian Administrator

No probs, I hope that fixes it :).

Ian, Oct 23, 2017
    V_R likes this.
  16. V_R

V_R ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Moderator

You were right, that fixed it. Not sure why the FCU would re enable the setting but hey, glad its sorted. Thanks again Ian! :cheers:

V_R, Oct 23, 2017
    Ian likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question