Windows 10 1903 update.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Normally I just get on with what ever updates Microsoft push out, but this 1903 update has annoyed me.
Firstly on both my desktop and laptop when I login it takes a good minute before I get to my desktop, before the update it was near instant.
Microsoft also decided to change my desktop backgound.
All the sh*tty apps that come with W10 that I had got rid of all seem to be back now.
All folders now show details rather than medium images.
All devices that use WiFi (TV, iPad, mobile, laptops both Windows and Mac ) I have had to login again as they didn't auto conect like normal.
I'm sure I'm missing something but you get the idea.

Edit: I am also now having to reinstall MS Office 2010 Pro

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I had the 1903 update a few days back and everything seems to be exactly as before. Maybe I'm just lucky. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'm still on 1803 Build 17134.885 Installed on 22/08/2018

Am I missing out on anything? ;)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I had the 1903 update a few days back and everything seems to be exactly as before. Maybe I'm just lucky. :)

And on another machine I have just, this morning, had an update to the 1803 version. :confused: There is also a message stating that this machine is not yet ready for the 1903 version but may be soon . I will be informed when it is. :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
And on another machine I have just, this morning, had an update to the 1803 version. :confused: There is also a message stating that this machine is not yet ready for the 1903 version but may be soon . I will be informed when it is. :)

Well, apparently the time has come for the 1903 version so I downloaded it this morning.

Various problems have arisen since then. My colours have all changed, the cursor has had a mind of its own and would not go into the right hand half of the screen, I could not exit programs, strange transparent circles running up and down the screen, two cursors on screen at the same time, unable to finish sentences when typing are just some of the problems. Needless to say I switched the system off and then on again umpteen times and things do seem more steady now but I am not happy and web pages that I opened earlier keep appearing out of the blue.

I am unable to change the lower taskbar colour to the one I like and, after Googling this, I find that this is a known issue with no apparent fix available. I feel like uninstalling this update just to get back what I had before but realise that updates are important and wonder if I should just await events to see if it improves.

BTW, Evan, did you get your laptop and your PC working to your satisfaction?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Chaos again. I have had to use a different machine to type this. Windows are opening and closing randomly and typing is now impossible. I decided to go back to the earlier version of Windows but I am told that this is impossible as 1903 was downloaded more than 10 days ago. Not true of course as it was only downloaded today !!!!!!

What to do next? Cursor jumping about all over the place, Settings window minimises after about 5 seconds. What a mess, wish I hadn't bothered. Foot through screen is looking more likely.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
BTW, Evan, did you get your laptop and your PC working to your satisfaction?

I ended up resetting both to factory spec then did updates. Update 1903 has been sitting waiting to be installed and can wait a little longer.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I have, after many tortuous hours, worked out what has happened. This is a Lenovo PC it has a well known Lenovo problem. When the touch screen is enabled all sorts of nasty things can happen (two cursors on screen, transparent circles moving up and down the screen, one of the cursors having a life of its own, windows opening and closing at random etc.) Lenovo's only fix is to disable the touch screen and this certainly works. It doesn't bother me as I'm happier using the mouse anyway.

I have run the PC with touch screen disabled for a couple of years but yesterday morning when I downloaded the 1903 update my PC started acting up and at first I didn't connect it with the touch screen problem. Then I realised that this was probably the problem again and I found that the touch screen was now enabled, presumably because of the 1903 download. I did manage to uninstall the 1903 download and eventually managed to disable the touch screen and now things seem fine again.

My worry now is that Microsoft will force me to download 1903 again and I will run into the same problem again. Disabling the touch screen is very difficult when the PC is playing up as there is very little control over the cursor that does move (the other one just sits in the top left corner and jiggles about) and it can take an age to get things right.

I have put off the 1903 download for 7 days (one option in Settings) but is there any way of stopping it permanently?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've had 1903 installed for ages and I've not noticed any ill behaviour here.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I've had 1903 installed for ages and I've not noticed any ill behaviour here.

Yes, my other machine had 1903 downloaded some months back and has not had any trouble at all.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Well, guess what. With all the recent carry on I decided to use the "Pause downloads for 7 days" facility and duly clicked on it. But now I find that MS has somehow decided to ignore that and has downloaded the 1903 download plus some others anyway. :mad:

Luckily for me, everything seems quite normal. The Lenovo touch screen has NOT been enabled this time and the only difference that I can see is that some of the colour schemes have changed a little. I think I can live with that.

Seems you just can't beat MS. :(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
And I'm still on V1809 which dates from last year. Reading some of the former posts here I'm hoping it remains that way as everything seems to be working ok.

Perhaps I'm bottom of MS's queue for updates as this version of Win 10 was a cheapie from Amazon (it cost about £12) labelled 'Education edition'.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Did you learn anything? :D:p

I certainly did, I learnt how many beans make six ;)

And perhaps that Microsoft don't give as much priority to cheapskate customers like myself. Which may or may not be a blessing.

Ask a Question