New Pad New Life

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I always found that a pint of beer was the perfect weight for arm physio. :D

Too many of them an I won't squeeze into me new leathers. ;)

As to Tunbridge Wells. Llandovery is in Wales :lol:

Signed : Head Druid , Anglesey.

Reaction score
I got 2 dogs both rescue, one Max a Border Collie is about 4 years old he was found on the streets of Cardiff but took 6 weeks for the dog wardens to catch him and he is blind and Taz been again badly treated and he is a Labrador cross and he is now about 8 years old, he is frightened about peoples hands as he has been hit a lot he does not trust humans until he get to know you, cannot blame him.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well I thought I had posted about my Royals experience here but I can not seem to find it. If anyone is interested here is the start of the tale,

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=88544&st=0

There is an update about round two which I am posting here,

ROYALS 2 v BARBARIANS 0

Not been too bad a summer. Managed a few rides out on the old cycles motorised and manual.

Sun was shining on Bank Holiday Monday a couple of weeks ago so of we went for a ride to New Quay about 50 miles away. Luverly ride with little traffic despite the holiday sightseers.

Arrived at New Quay which has a steep hill road down to the beach, this is the only place to park for free. Spotted an opening between two cars big enough to park in, wheeled the bike in and started to pull it on to the centre stand. As I did so the bike started to fall away down the hill and would have fallen on to the parked car. I made a huge effort to pull the bike back upright but it was very difficult to do. I did feel some strain on my back but there was no sharp pain, just a small tug at the base of the spine.

Walking away I felt no after effects and of we went for sit down fish and chips and a pot of tea.
Riding home my right leg felt as though it was cramping up. Not wanting to stop I rode for a short way with the leg extended and made it home. I felt a bit stiff the next day but spent most of the day and the next day sorting out me sisters pc, so a lot of sitting at the desk.

Woke up Thursday and the leg was giving me excruciating shots of pain every time I tried to move it let alone walk on it. So for three days all I managed to do was get up and down the stairs at the start and end of the day, make two ready meals and several cups of tea or coffee, and the rest of the time I spent trying to find a position standing or sitting where I could get some relief from the pain.
By the following Monday I could manage to stand and walk for a couple of minutes before the pain kicked in again. So at least I could fill a kettle , make a cup of tea and take it to the front room without having to sit down between each action.

Five days later, today, I can manage to walk without a stick and have made it the the supermarket but I still have to keep on sitting down as if I stay on my feet too long the pain washes in again.
Typically we have had some very nice days this last fortnight unlike the previous month of almost constant wind and wet. Also I was due, after waiting for almost five months, to go for a driving test for the Welsh Ambulance so I could become a voluntary driver with them. Luckily they have made another appointment for me in ten days time.

The doc came to see me at home and has given me some new pain killers as the dihydrocodein wreaked havoc with my internals. It appears that I have nipped or trapped a nerve somewhere in the small of my back, possibly the sciatic nerve but it could be one of several. So here I am happily spaced out as I have been for the last ten days on Gabapentin. Which is much kinder to my internals but makes me drift of frequently and makes it hard to concentrate.

So if I have not been so active or my posts have seemed odder than usual that is the reason. Looks like it will take quite a few weeks for me to recover and I have to take it steadily as it is quite easy to cause a relapse.

The really bad news is that I should be busy planting bulbs and sorting the garden out for next year. That ain't going to happen for at least a month if at all. It does depend on how quickly and well I heal up. After the terrible weather which has held me up in the garden and the high winds me garden is not at its best. I never got netting up for the sweet peas. The nasturtiums went wild and took over the path. I never got to plant on the carnations and pinks. The tomatoes and greenhouse never got sorted, but I have been eating home grown toms for a few weeks and it looks like I will be for a few more. The raised veg border went wild and was sort of a disaster. I did get quite a few mange touts, then peas, some french beans but not many, radishes,a few various salad greens, some luverly young spinach and I may get a couple of coloured beetroot. So not a bountiful harvest but at least I have a bed ready for next year.Oh and I had wild and cultivated strawberries too, very yummy they were and there will be even more next year.
All is not doom and gloom though as I have some perennials that look as though they have established and I have two beds that will be better next year. Not quite what I had planned but then thats the way with plans.
Here are a few pics of the garden from when I moved in to today.

https://imgur.com/a/2e4M0

stretcher.gif

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Hope you get over it all soon, AB especially as autumn and then winter are on the horizon. :)

Reaction score
I did not know that you were going through such crap time AB I hope you are through the worst of it and you can now enjoy your new house and bike, Oh by the way I had a Royal Enfield M/C in the 1960's great bike.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Very nice pics @Abarbarian - I love the way your cat likes to post for them too. Looks like he enjoys his new surroundings a lot - but who wouldn't? You have some great views and such a good-sized garden, which I'm sure you will be able to enjoy more fully, once you've recovered from your current, painful back problems.

Hope you will feel much better very soon, but meanwhile, take care. :thumb: :cheers:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Take it easy @Abarbarian - hopefully you'll be feeling better soon :). Just make sure you taper off the gabapentin very slowly, as the withdrawal from it can be awful!

Your garden is looking nice - a big chance since you moved in. Have you got any fish in your pond?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your back problems Mr A, it's something I can sympathise with having suffered from that ailment in the past, it can be painful and scary.

Never mind about the garden, in the time you can't tend to green-fingered matters, just consider your garden a conservation area and award yourself a gold star from the Greenie brigade ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Take it easy @Abarbarian - hopefully you'll be feeling better soon :). Just make sure you taper off the gabapentin very slowly, as the withdrawal from it can be awful!

Your garden is looking nice - a big chance since you moved in. Have you got any fish in your pond?

Ta, the garden looked really nice several times over the summer. The rose over the arch was covered in tons of flowers twice but they were battered by the weather. An the long bed is way past its best and as you can see I never got any support for the sweet peas or the climbing nasturtiums which have turned out to be the best caterpillar restaurant in Pembroke.
Still I have a good base for next year and I might be able to make some changes yet this year.
Thanks for the warning about the Gabapentin. I am only tacking a lowish amount and I have already cut that back by a third as I am not a fan of pharmaceutical medication unless really necessary. Natural organic medication is much better or so I have found over a forty year test period. :cool:

Surprisingly enough I have fish in the pond. The pond was covered in a mat of green algae stuff and I bought some, what looks like grey powder, but is in fact some sort of microbe/bacteria stuff, which you put in a bucket of warm pond water and keep in the dark for a few hours and then pour into the pond. This stuff apparently eats all the alage, well it worked and I seem to have orange,white and brown and blackish looking fish in several different sizes along with quite a lot of oxygenating weed. I have not fed the fish but they seem to be quite happy so I am going to leave them and see how they get on. Mr Spooks is learning to fish but has had no luck yet. I do hope he can swim as he is bound to fall in the pond at some time.

@floppybootstomp A few weeks ago Tesco were selling of Pacifico larger, a south american brand, at half price so I have a cupboard full and a nice comfy wooden patio chair and luckily I still have a small amount of my favourite medication. So with the nice sunny weather I am happy to sit and look at the view.
Thought I might be doing this in ten years time not quite just yet. Looks like I might have made a good choice in buying what with the view and all.:D

@Taffycat Mr Spooks is very happy apart from when it is raining. :lol:

Reaction score
So glad everything has come together so quickly AB and you are as a pig in mire so to speak and obviously Mr Spookes loves his new abode.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Finally ..................................................

after an almost five month epic I have been accepted to become a voluntary driver for the Welsh Ambulance Service. I start on Oct 3rd and as me sciatic nerve problem with me right leg is still not sorted I will be driving for three afternoons a week. When fully recovered I hope to be driving for three full days initially but may drop that down to two days.
I almost did not make the cut. Luckily there were two of us that went for a driving test which included some Q's on the Highway Code.
We both failed the graphic signs test and I failed the multiple choice test but we both passed the real road driving test. Luckily they gave us a second chance at the signs and multi choice tests and we both passed with a 90% score.

Phew that was a tough morning.
Leaving home at 7.30, not a natural time for a barbarian to be up and around, was quite nice. The sky was blue and the roads were bone dry. The weather stayed fine all the way to Swansea and I had fabulous views of the Welsh countryside. In fact the weather stayed fine all day and right through the evening.
It has taken a long time but Lady Luck rode on my shoulder and gave me a terrific day.

:D

Reaction score
Good on you AB well done. There is nothing worse than someone sitting beside you taking notes of your driving whilst you are driving. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:Well done for passing.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
So I had my first dip of the season on Monday.

We rode out to a place called Dale and had a pint on the first floor outside decking at the Griffin Inn.

http://www.griffininndale.co.uk/

ccdcpqgwwaanfiu_gallery_preview.jpg

Luverly local brewed real ale and a dish of tasty potato wedges. The view from the deck is fab and what with the blue sky and sun we could have stayed drinking all day. Shame we have to have a one pint limit.

http://beachguide.wales/pembrokeshire/dale.php

a-very-special-place-dale.jpg

Deciding that Dale was too busy for a first dip of the year we headed of to St Ishmaels and a small sheltered cove called Monk Haven.

http://beachguide.wales/pembrokeshire/monkhaven.php

MG_2243.jpg

The tide was on its way in as we dipped so the water had picked up some heat from the sun warmed rocks but it was still a tad on the cool side. As it was such a hot day drying of once out of the water was pretty much a drip dry affair.
We rode of into the sunset happy bikers determined to make similar runs all through the summer. Weather permitting of course.
:cool:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
That looks gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the photos with us :)

At first I thought you meant that the pub imposed a one pint limit on you (!!) but then I saw that you were on your motorbike, so I guess that makes more sense :lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Sounds like you enjoyed a cracking day out @Abarbarian. Such beautiful areas, hope you get to explore lots more of them in the Pembrokeshire sunshine. (Actually, I don't dislike it in the rain either, still gorgeous scenery.) :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
That looks gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the photos with us :)

At first I thought you meant that the pub imposed a one pint limit on you (!!) but then I saw that you were on your motorbike, so I guess that makes more sense :lol:

They are stock pics taken of the net. There are mor eluverly pics in the links too. Hopefully I will post some of my own pics from rides out later on. I have to figure out how to carry me camera safely and hassle free first.

breakfast.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That looks nice. We've just come back from the Gower, some stunning beaches there.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
That looks nice. We've just come back from the Gower, some stunning beaches there.

Had a couple of rides around the Gower and stopped at a luverly Inn for fuel once. I even looked at a cottage for sale when house hunting but it had Japanese Knotweed in the garden and entry was via some very steep steps, shame as it had drop dead gorgeous views.
Not had a chance to do beaches yet. I did try one but it had parking charges of £4 and there was no where else to park at all. I thought that was a bit mean and gave it a miss.
:cool:

Ask a Question