Cannock Chase - Monkey Trail Gopro

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Had a nice day out on the bikes yesterday, took Theodore out to Sherwood pines in his new trailer and it reminded me of the few good days we had last year!

Went Cannock Chase last year with friends to hit the track up on our bikes and recorded some video's on my GoPro HD Hero 2 but forgot to post here!

These are my favourite 2 sections of the Monkey trail, rode twice over:

I go Sherwood pines a lot, but it's far more tame and more for fitness than Cannocks adrenaline fueled trails ;). Cannocks a good 1 1/2 hour drive to get to for me as well and probably cost's £40 in diesel to get there and back so I cant go as often as I'd like, but if you want a nice day out, hit a trail center, there's literally hundreds around the UK, Wales and Scotland having the best in the world probably!

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
That looks awesome, I used to go ride out on a trail new Newbury, sadly it got destroyed by people riding moto x bikes and is no more.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Great stuff. I fancy me some of that. Probs: Where round here? Will my 100 year old Peugot pulled-from-a-skip bicycle be good enough? Will me at me age be good enough? Lol. I dunno, but looks good :)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
There's more people who are 50+ on the trails than any other age group that I've seen. They seem to be the most hardcore as well, always flying past me without breaking a sweat! The trails are graded in colour codes, though not all equal. Green route will be family route, basically wide singletrack with no jumps/drops rock gardens or anything where you could fall off, Blue route is a little more demanding, probably a few hill climbs but could be done by a first timer to a trail centre, maybe a few jumps and berms which would be optional. Red route is probably the most popular, definitely not for first timers but if taken at your own comfortable pace could be quite a fun challenge to newbies, will have a few rock gardens, jumps, berms, roots, bomb holes and some demanding climbs. The last theres Black route, which will be mostly for the pro's with downhill bikes, have some big big jumps and be very fast.

Heres a map with loads of trails on, not all will have cafes, bike shops or parking, you'd have to delve deeper into the interweb to find out more: http://www.mtbroutefinder.co.uk/

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the info reef.

Well lookie here, the enclosed pic shows all routes in London - not a one :D And the nearest, near Sevenoaks, has no info. Oh well.

When I were a yoof, about 13 years old and used to live with my bike as more a less a body extension, we made our own dirt track routes on bomb sites. Went there with shovels and spades intially, then the paths just wore in. Best one was just off of Lee High Road in Lewisham behind a motor dealers named Frys. Bordered by the River Quaggy, which was just a big stream really.

The big kids used to threaten to beat us up and nick our money but they never did, not to me, anyway. None of these impromptu tracks exist anymore of course.

Attachments

• bikeroutes.jpg
    bikeroutes.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 532