Vacinations ???

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Anyone got one yet ?

I have a booking for my first jab at 20.05 tomorrow evening at a site near Cardiff which is 97 miles away. So that is almost a 200 mile round trip, I wonder if I will be able to claim traveling expenses as it is a work related booking ?

I was sat at the pc this morning when a e-mail came through offering bookings for staff. So Ii imediately tried to book. Pesky old linux would let me view the site needed but would not let me fill in the Microsoft forms. So I had to dig out me old Windows pc which thankfully worked. Trouble was it was my sisters old pc and I could not get it to recognise her password, tried loads of variations until I remembered I had changed it to my Arch password.
Got the booking done. An then I had a very confusing e-mail confirming the booking but it had two times on it. Arggghhhh so I fired off a couple of e-mails to my manager but she was as puzzled as me but would look into it. There was no telephone or e-mail contact on the booking site so I could not ask them directly. All the time the clock was ticking and I was pretty stressed out as there were only so many vaccinations available.
I decided to contact the hospital where the jabs were to be given but they did not know anything about it but gave me a number to call for another department. Called the number and the same story. Called the number they gave me and a very nice lady offered to find out what was going on. She called me back after several stress filled hours on my part and confirmed me booking. Pheww that was a pretty awful few hours.
I recon it will be the Oxford offering which is not as effective as the Pfiefer one but it will be better than nothing. Apparently the Oxford one is more effective after the second shot.
I am quite relived as I have been quite worried since the beginning of December as the situation has worsened daily since then and had even considered stopping the voluntary driving for a while. Of course the vaccination is nit 100% effective so even with the shots you need lady luck riding along with you.

Stay safe folks and I hope you all get the shots asap if you decide to have them.:cool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's great news. A big relief with that job I bet!

None yet here, but I know of quite a few people who've had it (either frontline health staff or elderly) - one of which has since come in to close contact with someone with covid, so hopefully it'll work (was only done a couple of weeks ago, so still building immunity!).

Ironically, my girlfriend is a nurse that sees 30+ patients a day and is about to start vaccinating people, but hasn't yet had it herself, although the physios in the next office (that do phone consultations only at the moment) have already had it. Sounds like there are lots of problems at the local level in this area rolling it out, as the supply is there.

I know of quite a few people who've contracted covid in the past couple of weeks, after a relatively quiet period :(.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
My daughter works in the hospital labs and is being jabbed next week even though she has no contact with patients However, all hospitals are dodgy environments and she has to deal with all sorts of samples coming in from various places so she probably is more likely to catch Covid than I am.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Not here, as a fit and healthy 40 year old, I'm at the lower end of the list!

Hopefully both my folks and hers will be getting it sooner rather than later though. They'll be able to hug their granddaughter again then.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
the physios in the next office (that do phone consultations only at the moment) have already had it.

That is truly appalling, what sort of dick heads are in charge of allocating the vaccine over there. Only front facing NHS staff should be getting the vaccine in the first roll out as they are the folk most in danger.

Well I did not turn into a three headed monster after the vaccination injection. Had no side effects but my arm is pretty sore this morning, I never had a sore arm after the flu jab.
To my surprise it was the Pzifer variant that I received. It seems that they are delaying giving folk the second shot and giving a first shot to as many folks as possible with the first batch of the vaccine.Looks like Tony Blair's suggestion has been acted upon. This means that instead of having the second shot in three weeks time there is now a twelve week wait for the second shot. While I would be much happier to get the second shot earlier I fully support the was the vaccination is being rolled out. It means that more folk are protected in a shorter time. If I have understood the facts correctly, 50% of folk with one shot will be fully protected. The other 50% will have a partial protection so that if they contract the virus they will have a much reduced reaction to it and almost no risk of dying.
Out come of this is that I will have some protection from the virus in a few days time, it takes up to a week to give protection after the jab. Then after the second shot in twelve weeks time or possibly earlier I should have 90 to 95 % protection from the virus. That is if I do not have any side effects from the second shot. Apparently side effects are more common after the second shot and can take up to a week to manifest. The chances of side effects are very low and generally do not last for long.
My stress levels have gone way down even after twentyfour hours but I will not be fully de-stressed until after the second shot. At the moment I am on a short break from the voluntary driving as I worked right through from Jan 7th until 8.30 Christmas Eve and thought I deserved a break. I am going back on the 12th and will continue until the middle of May when hopefully I will be able to take a pre booked holiday in the Lakes with me biking buddies.

So keep on the ball folks. Stay safe and healthy until you get the vaccination and keep up protective measures until the whole country is vaccinated. :cool:

Ask a Question