Things to do in Amsterdam

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm off to Amsterdam soon and I've got tickets booked for the Rijksmuseum, Boat Cruise and Heineken tour. Might see the Van Gogh museum if I have time, but I've done that one before a few years back. Might also try the Zoo and Micropia museum if the weather improves.

Has anyone got any must-see recommendations or restaurant suggestions? I'm really keen on Indonesian food so I've got that booked already (Restaurant Jun, I think it's called).

Any first-hand suggestions would be appreciated! :D I've had a look at lots of the "top 10" / Tripadvisor attractions, but I thought I'd pick the collective brain of PCR.

Reaction score
Hmm first time Ian?

To be honest I didn't like Amsterdam. Overrated, Expensive and as seedy as the media makes it out to be

I was last there about 13 or so years ago. I don't think I will ever be going back.
While you are there though you may want to experience the Sexmuseum Amsterdam Venustempel

Here are some reviews https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra...stempel-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

Also Anne Frank House

Again some reviews

Bare in mind when I went all those years ago both of the above were free if I remember correctly. If they weren't well we walked into them without being stopped or asked to pay. Anne Frank House is now 10Euro? and the Amsterdam Venustempel is 5Euro?.

Beer was very expensive as well. 5Euro for a large mug. Pffft not on ya nelly
I'm sure you will have fun though ;)

I hope you don't suffer from Protanopia :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's probably the 3rd or 4th time, but some of those visits have been to see family and I didn't get to do as much touristy stuff. The last time I went I also saw the seedier side of things and it seemed rather grim - but previously I always thought it was a beautiful place. Was full of stag dos and roudy Brits that weekend though!

The Venustempel sounds like quite a funny place to visit, so I'll add that to the list :lol: .

Forgot to mention that I've also done the Anne Frank house, but my travelling companion hasn't, so I'll see if this is of interest for the last day when we've got some time before the flight :thumb:.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
When I was in Jakarta I went to a restaurant which served corn cutlets. Never had better cutlets ever. Its called Bakwan Jagung. Check to see if they have it on the menu and try it out if you can. :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
When I was in Jakarta I went to a restaurant which served corn cutlets. Never had better cutlets ever. Its called Bakwan Jagung. Check to see if they have it on the menu and try it out if you can. :thumb:

I love corn, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for this. I suspect I'll try and eat Indonesian food every day there, so I'm sure I can find them. I'll post a pic if I manage to find some :).

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I love Nasi Goreng too, more like fried rice in Indonesian style and it can be made with any kind of protein, chicken, shrimps, beef etc. served with a sunny side up egg :)

2016_06_24_7079_1466755385._large.jpg

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I love corn, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for this. I suspect I'll try and eat Indonesian food every day there, so I'm sure I can find them. I'll post a pic if I manage to find some :).

Yes love to see what you can get there and pics always welcome.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Good Indonesian meal at Puri Mas, Lange Leidsedwarsstraat 37-41 This was recommended by the Concierge at our hotel and was excellent. We also had a superb European meal at Carter, Valeriusstraat 85 huis, 1071 MG Amsterdam, where you can eat inside, or much better, out on the pavement.

This visit was two and a half years ago however so nothing guaranteed. :cheers:

Reaction score
Yea probably over in Liverpool but not where I am in Birkenhead. I don't eat out at all really expense and my being a tight A*se ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just got back from Amsterdam yesterday afternoon - our flight out on the Sunday night was cancelled just as we were about to takeoff (literally sat at the end of the Runway). Turns out Schiphol airport has a night quota for flights and we missed it by 90 seconds. :eek:

Ate Indonesian food for the first two nights, although didn't get to try Puri Mas @nivrip. We were aiming to do that on the last night, but were too full so just had some casual food before a boat ride. We ate at "Blue Pepper" and "Jun" - Rijstafel at both :D.

Went to the Rijksmuseum, Heineken experience, Bodyworlds, Venustemple museum, Maritime museum and the Vondelpark. Did loads of walking around, eating pancakes and drinking coffee/beer!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
90 seconds!!!!! Wow!

I remember back in 1989 when I had a change of plane at Schiphol airport en route to London, flying KLM in business class. At the arrival gate, I was told that my connecting flight is ready to leave and that I must run to the gate 34 to get on board. I was on gate number 4 so ran all the way as if my life depended on it, I made it, they were waiting for me. As soon as I entered the plane they closed the doors! Phew! :thumb: