Some thoughts/bit of a rant

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Like others here, we've both had flu jabs. My husband has qualified for many years, due to various chronic health problems. (Two of those include asthma and, a heart condition.) He's always strongly advised by medics that he should "avoid getting colds/flu..."

They place me in the category of being not just his wife, but his "carer" which, (according to NHS guidelines,) means that I should also be able to get a jab. (A previous surgery we were with, always offered one). But our current surgery dragons (er, sorry, 'receptionists') always tell me that "the vaccine is in very short supply.... "come back at the end of Nov or Dec, and we might be able to vaccinate you then..."

Gee thanks. This is really clever thinking - not. Before anyone jumps on me to say "quite right too... you're not so important as an elderly/sick person, etc., yes, I agree. However, there are certain tasks I have to assist hubby with each day. If I'm laid low by lurgy, I'm not the only one who would be affected. Not only from the point of view of passing-on the infection to my spouse, but the care issues which are involved too.

If I could not perform them, it would mean having to set other means of "help" in place. Those terribly busy surgery nurses would actually need to attend to the 'medical' aspects several times per week, and quite possibly, the dreaded Social Services folk would have to drop by to assist with other things. So, I would have thought that helping me to stay well would be in their own economic interests....? But maybe I'm wrong.

Obviously, as with most things, I've taken an alternative route. Asda's pharmacy offer jabs for about £7. Worth every penny, and no fuss or judgement about my age falling a few years short of the accepted one. In fact, this year, even hubby decided to have his jab from them - it meant we could both be protected at exactly the same time. Great.

We all know that a jab is not 100% guaranteed to prevent flu (as Mr Feckit can demonstrate) but it helps. Vulnerable people can also try to avoid it by keeping away from crowded/risky places, etc.

But then, some muppet of a gas engineer, delivery person, or whatever, actually brings it right into your home!

Once they're inside, you notice the sniffing, coughing, and red-rimmed eyes...:eek: The quick wipe of a nose on a gloved (or bare) hand, just before they hand you a parcel, your shopping, a pen to sign something, or whatever... ugh! They proudly announce that they've got a lurgy, but haven't taken so much as a day off work! Great! So they have ensured a nice, liberal spread of their infection-gremlins then...!

Good for them. Pity they couldn't spare a thought for the folk with already compromised health that they risk infecting! Yes, I know some employers are not sympathetic, and yes, jobs are terribly important, but per-lease! Think! For the next person they infect, treatment might not be so straightforward as just downing a few Lemsips or hugging a hot water bottle!

Sorry to be grouchy, but sometimes the knock-on effects are not always obvious.

Okay, I'm back to my more cheery self now. :D

Reaction score
Since it's the "flu & cold season" we have been advised at work to wash our hands regularly.
Mostly to stop the spread of germs via phone, door handles, keyboards etc and it's sound advice.

As for being told your not priority for a flu jab that's just being fussy.
I get the choice from my GP, others don't, my sister does not, but paid for it.
And all the supermarket pharmacy's are offering it from £5 - £11.

Seems if it works or stops you from getting the full blown version it would pay the NHS to give it to everybody!

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I qualified for the jab because of asthma, but was told at my doctors surgery I couldn't get it because of a shortage. While at my chemist I was asked if I had had the jab yet to which I reply'd no because of shortage. My chemist told me he could do it free as he knows of my asthma and the meds I take. Jab was duely taken, but a week later I got a cold which I am still trying to shake 3 weeks later :(

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Well ranted, TC. :)

There must be a genuine shortage of flu jabs because GPs make money out of giving them. They buy them in at a discounted price and get a fee, for each one given, which is higher than the price of the individual vaccine.

So, GPs are very keen to give as many as possible to maximise their income. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Agree with you TC, officialdom is the bane of common sense, probably always has been.

Good to see you're both protected now, albeit 14 quid poorer.

My GP keeps sending me letters and texts telling me to visit for flu jab but haven't been yet.

The jab, incidentally, has never affected me but the pneumonia jab gave me cold-like symptoms for 24 hours.

As for our feckit having flu, well.... It is my opinion that if you're well enough to walk, talk and write posts on forums, plus go out, you don't have flu. Oh, you'll have really nasty symptoms, headaches, shivering, runny nose, the works but real flu lays you low, typical synptoms usually mean a person will just go to bed and sleep lots, very fever-like symptoms.

And on that note I don't actually think I've ever had flu. Had tonsilitis a few times when younger, that made me fit for nothing and once suffered cellulitis, again just like having a fever.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I don't read the papers, or watch the news on a non-exiting TV, however, I am aware the there is a shortage of the Flu jab vaccines this year ... supplies had been halted 'voluntarily' because of patient safety concerns following an "unexpected test result" on one batch.

Normal service will resume as soon as possible.

No reflections on your very founded rant on your country's inability to service it's NH patents TC. :)

Reaction score
FBS i have man-flu which if you have ever had it would know it's deadly!:p
It is on par with giving birth so i'm told!:eek:

Ask a Question