Special UV light safely kills airborne flu virus

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
How awesome is this?!

Continuous low doses of far ultraviolet C (far-UVC) light can kill airborne flu viruses without harming human tissues, according to a new study at the Center for Radiological Research at Columbia University Irving Medical Center (CUIMC). The findings suggest that use of overhead far-UVC light in hospitals, doctors' offices, schools, airports, airplanes, and other public spaces could provide a powerful check on seasonal influenza epidemics, as well as influenza pandemics.

According to the research, this light would even work against new strains. It costs $1,000 per unit but this price could come down if it went into mass production. Pretty good eh?

https://www.brightsurf.com/news/art...ely-kills-airborne-flu-virus-finds-study.html

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I wonder if they make a personal / portable one!?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I don't know, but it would probably be a good idea. For people with compromised immune systems (eg transplant patients) it could be life saving!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thanks, now Amazon is going to spam me with fish tank paraphernalia for the next month... :mad:

:lol:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I wonder if they make a personal / portable one!?

Yes, but you end up looking like this..................

Helmet.JPG

:D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That report sounds like quite a breakthrough @Becky. My OH has some health issues which necessitate that he attend an outpatient clinic at the local hospital twice per month. It's always a bit of a worry when the flu season is at its height, because he has also been advised to avoid getting flu! (Hmm... I guess he could wear a goldfish bowl over his head? :D)

If the Far-UVC lights are ever used in our hospitals, or any other crowded areas, such as supermarkets and what-not, it could make one heck of a difference for the better, I think. Although $1000 per lamp is possibly going to be a bit steep for the average NHS medical centre.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thanks, now Amazon is going to spam me with fish tank paraphernalia for the next month... :mad:

Guess what appeared in my inbox this morning...

I told you it would happen didn't I.