Flops' Friday mini blog

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Some time ago, probably around 8 months, I went for an MRI scan at The Royal Brompton in Kensington but 23 minutes into a 45 minute scan I got cramp in my leg and had to end the scan, much to my annoyance. However, the operator of the big tube thingie said they had managed to record data that would be useful to the cardiologist I was seeing at my local hospital.

So the cardiology nurse at The Queen Elizabeth Hospital constantly sent requests to the Royal Brompton for this information with little success. Until this week.

I visited nursey on Wednesday and she had the partial reuslts of my scan. Basically it said my heart was ok. Ok for a fella my age that is, apparently it’ll never be firing on all six again. Still, let’s treat the news with a welcome, things could have been worse.

In fact my heart seems to have made a recovery and the poor working of one chamber (on the refill before pumping, imagine a pump bladder) where it was being restrictive was now ok. I was told this recovery is quite rare and I should count myself lucky.

My blood pressure was good and my oxygen intake was good so she discharged me. Yay! No more weekday afternoon bus full of unruly schoolkids. The joy :)

I’m now on 3 daily drugs plus an aspirin to keep me on an even keel and my new drug, cardegan or summat, doesn’t cause a cough, unlike it’s predecessor.

So I might live a while longer yet – ta da!

There are many sayings and expressions that have entered the English (English) language in my lifetime, many as a result of online social interaction.

Some are ok whilst others get right up my hooter.

Here are a few that rile me whenever I see them:

‘Just saying’ This one roughly translates as ‘I know I’ve said something offensive but it’s the truth innit so **** you’.

And ‘Enjoy’. This one means ‘Look at me, aren’t I clever finding this and I just know you’re going to love it’. Well young Lochinvar, I might not enjoy your link to your puerile article/whatever so take your ‘Enjoy’ and shove it where the sun don’t shine.

And, of course ‘Google is your friend’. Just. ****. Off.

I feel better for that :)

The turntable plinth build so far:

Have finished the hardboard template, cut all the retaining strips off the chopping boards and cut the opening and holes for the studding in the first board. I’ve marked out the other boards but rain and a slight snowfall stopped play today.

The top board, the one I've cut, is a perfect fit, that's a relief for me.

The template & first layer:

3003.jpg
3011.jpg

3019.jpg
3021.jpg

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Your handiwork is always very neat!

In fact my heart seems to have made a recovery and the poor working of one chamber (on the refill before pumping, imagine a pump bladder) where it was being restrictive was now ok. I was told this recovery is quite rare and I should count myself lucky.

Good work :thumb:. I didn't even know that was possible! Really pleased to hear that it's all ok now :).

Reaction score
Glad to hear your ticker has recovered and you have the all clear, great stuff oh Floppy one. Also great work there on your turntable I wish I was as gifted as you.:thumb::bow::bow::bow:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
There are many sayings and expressions that have entered the English (English) language in my lifetime, many as a result of online social interaction.

Good news about your heart problem. :thumb:

The expression "Enjoy" when said by a waiter/waitress in a restaurant really annoys me. I don't like to be told what to do. I will decide if I enjoy it. :mad:

Oh, and BTW, the second picture is a dead ringer for a toilet seat. :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That is jolly good news @floppybootstomp, happy to hear that. :nod:

Oooh aren't there just! Along with the ones you already cited, others which get up my own nose, are "pop" and "for me" words much-loved by medics of various persuasions.

You are about to get an injection perhaps, so "Pop your sleeve up for me." Or in the Podiatry clinic, you see an elderly person, barely able to hobble, being called into the treatment room and invited to "Just pop your shoes and socks off, and pop-up onto the couch for me."

I don't know about anyone else... but sarcasm is high on my list of peeves. It is something I loathe. It tends to be sneeringly contemptuous, or mocking and usually, the people who employ it the most, are those who lack the wit to be genuinely humorous.
And, of course ‘Google is your friend’. Just. ****. Off.
Yessss!
:lol::lol::lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
When on the phone, a robot voice telling me that So&So Company "values my call."

:mad:

Just a robot voice will do it, being unable to tell them to go forth and multiply causes much anger in chez flops :mad:

And yes TC, I also am not fond of sarcasm, rarely is it cleverly deployed and yet the people spouting it will often consider themselves the height of wit.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
First coat of varnish on the plinth today.

Well well, my eldest, daughter offspring Faye, turns 30 today. Now there's a thing, my oh my. Can you all see this smile on my face? :) Happy Birthday Faye!

And just lately, at the request of some, I have been committing life episodes if not to print then at least to a series of 0's & 1's. Here's just one of them, penned around 03:00 hours last night/this morning:

I’m old enough to have just about got away with being a mod. In April 1967 I turned 16 and my Dad bought me my motor scooter, a Mk II Lambretta LI 150. I wore the parka and rode up and down between Lewisham and Bromley about a million times just trying to be cool. Sometimes, if we had money, we’d go into the Wimpy Bar in Lewisham and eat burgers and drink coffee.

There were about 6 of us on scooters hanging out, not one Vespa amongst us, all Lambrettas, not really sure why and we convinced ourselves we were mods but the truth was the heyday had passed by a couple of years previous and 1967 was, after all, the summer of love where hippies became hip and mods were a bit passe.

Still, we did go to the south coast – Brighton and Hastings – on bank holidays and weekends and even had a couple of rucks with some greasers but to be honest it was all a bit half hearted and we never really hurt each other.

Those of us who meant it went to the indoor market at Peckham underneath the railway and after having saved up for a couple of months bought a mohair suit. This was the height of cooldom, mine was blue and two tone but the guy on the stall selling the suits had many designs and colours. I think it cost £12 if memory serves me correctly.

My Lambretta LI 150 cost £30 and I bought it in Streatham. It was an ‘old mans wheels’ so I set about modernising it a little, twin single seats went for a double seat, leopard skin spare wheel cover; flyscreen and at big expense – chrome side panels. Eventually I would fit a Mk III front fairing and mudguard and have it bored out to 175 but that was much later.

We went to The Savoy/Witchdoctor at Catford and there were two other nightclubs, Peyton Place at Bromley South and the El Partido in Lewisham, in Lee High Road, but we were too young and they never let us in.

In August 1967 we went to the Isle Of Wight on our scooters, 4 of us on three scooters. I can remember travelling pillion up Shanklin High Street holding a large transistor radio with Scott Mackenzies ‘San Francisco’ blaring out. Confused? Yes we were, all yobs from SE London used to rucking caught up in a summer of love we didn’t really understand.

At the IOW for the first 5 days of the 2 weeks we stayed there we slept in seafront shelters as we didn’t have much money. After that, a camp site, where we met some Swedish girls. Driving around the IOW one late afternoon with me on pillion, it was raining light drizzle when we hit a negative camber on a bend and came off the bike as it slid away from beneath us on it’s side. The bike was ok but Richard the driver cut his arm badly and I got a nasty case of road rash, lots of gravel embedded in the palm and forearm of my left arm.

So we went to the hospital where they numbed my arm and spent about an hour picking out the gravel. When they had finished and dressed the wounds a nurse came with a hypo to give me a tetanus injection. I hated (and still do) injections so I just ran out of A & E, we jumped on the scooter and took off. I’m still alive so obviously didn’t need the jab.

Summers back home were spent visiting various youth clubs and in the summer sometimes at Bellingham Baths, an open air swimming pool.

Recently I’ve noticed a resurgence in scooter ownership, both Lambrettas and Vespas, and now original examples fetch silly money, often in the thousands. A guy I know is amongst one of those owners so I thought I’d make him up a couple of ‘Mod’ CD’s.

Here’s what I put together, no doubt you could make your own contributions but this is only the first two. This is mostly black music, I haven’t gone into the Who, Small Faces, Creation and all the other white bands of the time yet, but I will.

Mod CDs 1 & 2.JPG

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Happy birthday to your daughter! :)

Makes me chuckle that you went through having gravel picked out of your arm but wouldn't have an injection :lol: Glad it wasn't necessary after all! Sounds like you had some interesting adventures :thumb: I was always far too much of a goody-goody-two-shoes :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Nice one Mr Flops, I had a Lambretta 125 in the early 1960's the only problem I had with it the side panels used to blow off if it was windy going up Castle Hill Dover I chopped it in for a BSA C15 250 cc motor bike thus started my love for motor cycles and yes I can remember removing gravel out of my arm and once out of my bum the hospital had the joy for that one. :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Fairly mild here today in the peripheral areas of this nations fine capital which brought the ants out. They came visiting in my bathroom, no more than 30 of the little buggers having a good look around. This is a regular Spring time occasion and I've read that if you leave them alone then after their recce they won't come back. This has worked in the past so I didn't kill them mercilessly and after about 30 minutes they'd gone. We will see if they return.

Sometimes in the summer when the ants stick to outside I put out sugar for them. How they arrived here six floors up I am not sure but I've a feeling they arrived in a large pot plant a friend gave me back when I moved in 2008.

I've been busy rebuilding and renovating a Lenco L75 turntable for a forum member on an audio Forum I frequent, this makes me a few bob which comes in handy for new toys.

Have also returned to making a three way active crossover I started about a year ago, you could say it's a slow build...

Have finished my Garrard 401 turntable plinth build and bought a Perspex cover for it which has nuts & bolts holding it together, it came from Germany and I'm pleased with it. It cost £45.30 inc postage, a seamless & nut_&_bolt_less cover would have cost £140 so I can put up with nuts & bolts. I'll post pics soon.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Today I told a charity mugger to 'go away' instead of using my usual two word riposte. I am becoming civilised.

I have forgotten to post pix of me finished turntable plinth, will do best to remember.

I carried out a few bits n bobs in the months of January & February of this year and managed to cobble together a nice little roll of fivers for to spend on a new toy. It came down to a choice of 3 things: A moving coil cartridge for one of my turntables (I was leaning in favour of this one); A new 1070 grafix card or a box full of vinyl long playing records. This for me, was a tough choice and one I've been deliberating on for a week.

But this morning my mind was made up for me when I realised my fridge freezer had gone to the great frozen food parlour in the sky. Woe, much woe and despair abounds, what am I to do? The appliance in question was 15 years old and had been excellent all these years between two dwellings. Its make was BEKO which I was told don't have a very good reputation so that just shows how wrong people can be.

Was 15 years a good innings? I think so, the way goods are manufactured in this new millennium, not bad at all (note deliberate use of not saying 'nowadays' - I am not fond of that expression).

My new one should be delivered Friday and with the cost of taking the BEKO away and dumping it on a patch of waste land in Erith the total cost was £534. Which as I recall is about twice what I paid last time. Blimey. And it's a Panasonic and coloured black, to match my washing machine. What a very trendy little townie I am :)

So farewell items that would have given pleasure - cartridge, graphics card and records - and hello boring thingie to keep me food fresh :mad:

It ain't all bad though because yesterday I won back a maintenance contract which I'd lost three years ago, so it looks as though things should balance out. Still, could've done without the damn fridge freezer dying. Such is life.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Very nice too Mr Flopp's!
Still enjoying reading your musings

Hope all is good in your world, or as good as can be!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
"Posh" Towney indeed, you could sell tickets to viewing the pad. :lol:

Ask a Question