Flops' Friday mini blog

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Have some pictures here of Blackheath in the summer of 1971.

Talk about zeitgeist. Luverly — in ways more than one. :p

There was a great 1970s "street photo" exhibition (by Simo & Eeva Rista, a Helsinki couple) here a few years ago:

http://areena.yle.fi/1-1282098

Funny how much has changed. For the better, mostly, of course. But nostalgia is a funny thing...

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Those photos are great! :thumb: What was going on in the third photo though?!
Yup, every young lasses of today should have one of those photo's up in their bathrooms to see real pretty women before they slap on their make up with a spatula :cheers:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's quite late, I'm not sleepy and I'm in the mood for a waffle so...

There comes a time in a mans life when certain items of his clothing need replacing. I had noticed that my two pairs of Levi 501 blue denims are getting somewhat threadbare, the cuffs of my sweatshirts are fraying and the necks of some of my shirts are wearing decidedly thin. So I headed up west and attempted to renew my wardrobe.

When it comes to clothing I am a man of simple needs, plaid shirts, levis or chinos and sweatshirts (all my footwear is ok – 3 pairs Dms, 1 pair black trainers and 1 pair purple baseball boots) and I’ve worn this stuff pretty much all my life. But I notice the quality of Levi jeans has deteriorated and the price has risen exponentially. In other words, the quality is mediocre and the price is exorbitant.

Today I managed to buy just one pair of black Levis and I think I won’t be buying any more, I’ll be looking for an alternative. I do actually favour M & S shirts (being of a certain age might influence this choice) but I looked in the Oxford street branch and they had not a single one shirt I liked. Nor did TK Maxx. Uh oh – where else do I look?

So my shopping trip was not successful despite traversing all of Oxford Street. And Jays at Rotherhithe now is no more, they recently went into liquidation as a result of SE16 becoming gentrified thanks to current government policy, I always used to buy me clobber there when I could.

Today (Friday December 30th) the tube trains and the West end were packed, it was hard to move. Trying to negotiate the pavement was hard work, I kept bumping into people. This started to annoy me after a while so I started saying ‘**** Off’ to anybody who blocked me or bumped into me.This was quite fun, watching their expression when they heard me.

When one is advanced in years and decidedly old and farty one can get away with this distinctly unsocial behaviour. Those folk that do hear my insulting request and want to start a ruck just take one look at me and think ‘old geezer’s off his head’. You see, old age can have advantages, you can insult every dumb **** and they think you’re senile and forgive you.

So you don’t get whacked and you can tell people to **** off to your hearts content. Good fun eh?

There were all kinds of people strolling Oxford Street, many of whom – shock horror – did not appear to be speaking English. My goodness, what is the world coming to? There was one old black gezer in a beige linen suit, bald head and beard who was standing in the middle of the pavement shouting very loudly ‘Zigga Zigga’ and I have no idea what he was on about unless he was practising his lines to the Spice Girls song and meant to say ‘Zigga Zig Ah’ in which case he hadn’t got it quite right.

All human life is there. I strolled down Berwick Street, popped in the record shops and didn’t buy a single thing. I seriously think I may now have all the vinyl LP’s I want, with the exception of those really stupidly expensive ones, the Brit band Nirvana’s late 60’s release ‘Local Anaesthetic’ for £200 anybody?

Strolled down through what’s left of Soho and noted with some sadness that this is also an area losing it’s character and becoming gentrified and whatever you may think of them, there’s very few strip clubs and dirty book shops left now. They may have been a bit naughty but they certainly did add to the character of the area.

Walked past St Martins In The Fields and noticed they were staging a concert this evening Handels Messiah, but you had to pay to get in. My local main church, St Alfeges, regularly host free lunchtime classical concerts but I suppose that’s Greenwich Vs Trafalgar Square for you.

Leicester Square was packed (oo look, a huge poster for Star Wars Rogue thingie), Charing Cross Station was relatively empty and I came home. London has changed and is changing but I still like it and as I stroll around I do still have a million memories leaping at me wherever I go.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
But I notice the quality of Levi jeans has deteriorated and the price has risen exponentially. In other words, the quality is mediocre and the price is exorbitant.
Oh I so agree with you Sir Flopps! Quality has definitely deteriorated, I guess this is due to the eternal quest for profit by stores - even good ol' M&S! I purchased half-a-dozen tee-shirts from them, to replace some of mine, which were getting a bit old.

Within just a couple of months, some of the stitching around seams and hems began to unravell; also the cotton fabric was not nearly such good quality as the old ones. (My old tees, were not M&S, but Asda's "George" brand. They had lasted intact, for more years than I care to own-up to!) But these days, some of Asda's offerings are decidedly tacky-looking, so it's rare that I find anything to suit my taste; i.e., something which does not have sparkly stuff, writing, or some kind of artwork emblazoned across the front! lol

Oddly enough, I seem to have more success when I buy for my OH. I've bagged some really decent quality polo shirts for him, although trousers are always problematical. The legs are mostly far too tight - yeah, I know... fashion! However, he cannot wear "sprayed-on" pants these days, due to having swollen legs (lymph oedema.) So I pretty much have to by-pass the high street and shop online for him.

Not that I mind... I really, really dislike crowded places. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thought I'd try my hand as a music critic :D Warning :eek: use of mild cuss word ahead...

I have all the official Pink Floyd LP’s on vinyl except The Final Cut, Pulse and the pair of best-ofs so I suppose that makes me a fan. I also have one bootleg on vinyl and untold bootlegs as FLAC & mp3 files.

I don’t own Pulse on vinyl as it’s rare and too expensive, regularly fetching £300 + 2nd hand and I don’t own The Final Cut on vinyl cos it’s shyte. I noticed The Final Cut has just been reissued on vinyl so I thought I’d revisit it and give it another chance and listened to it again on FLAC, for the first time in years. It’s still shyte.

It’s basically a Roger waters solo album and consists of his own mediocre formula, namely delivering a quiet monologue almost spoken, full of drudge and misery, then screaming his nuts off full of angst and anger. By employing this method I suspect Roger hopes to impress us with the constant contrasts in musical passages. As mentioned the lyrics are no bundle of fun and I suppose these might appeal to those who love to wallow in misery.

The rot had started to set in during The Wall but at least that had the saving grace of having a few good songs on it. Out of interest I have also listened to all the Roger Waters solo albums and all of those leave a similar bad taste in my mouth, same formula and largely the same misery and despair. Frankly, Roger, I find you a bore.

At the time the Final Cut was recorded there was a great deal of turmoil and disagreement in the Pink Floyd camp and keyboardist Rick Wright was effectively sacked by Roger Waters. Waters also had the arrogance to call this piece of crap The Final Cut assuming he could prevent any more albums being released bearing the Pink Floyd name. Thankfully he was wrong.

I won’t dwell on the ins and outs of the Pink Floyd breakup, mud-slinging and legal shenanigans, I’ll just say I still think The Final Cut is unlistenable and so my Pink Floyd vinyl collection will remain forever incomplete. I am still, however, searching for that elusive copy of the triple LP Pulse at an affordable price.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Bought my last two pairs of Wranglers from Matalan. Decent price and they had a made in USA label too.

:cool:

Yer music critique is, how can I put it, typically english eccentric :lol:

Reaction score
I am afraid I am rather old fashioned my taste are some Classical, lots of Folk & Country, Big Band espically Glyn Miller and others of that genera, 1930's, 40's & 50's pop, and world music. Cannot stand much of the modern pop after and including 1960's. Electric guitars, shouting and screaming and a lot of noise. BAHH HUMBUG.:eek:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Decided to spend a large part of today cavorting around the West End of this fair capital and rather wished I hadn't. It was mobbed out with tons of people all protesting about Donald Trump, many carrying a variety of placards and making the tube trains seem like being crammed into a tin of sardines. I don't think their actions - well-intentioned as they are - are going to influence the bit-part actor in the White House and they possibly may have been better off staying at home and eating some soup but I suppose it gives the people participating a sense of unity and the feeling they've done some good. But they haven't, ho hum. I also came across a Hari Krishna member who tried to foist a book upon me. Blimey, I thought they'd died out. I said ain't you cold mate, in that nightie and with a bald barnet? He just looked at me and smiled, managing to look quite vacant.

I walked down Wardour Street and past the site where The Marquee club used to be and noticed there's a Gay pub near there now. I thought to myself Donald wouldn't approve of that now would he? And so to Trafalgar Square and it was wall to wall protestors there with a fair sprinkling of Old Bill. All peaceful though, with lots of kids present. Apparently this protest is worldwide, this pussy grabbing misogynist racist idiot isn't very popular is he? Well, if nothing else this year is going to be interesting.

The White House website page has now removed all signs and mentions of civil rights, healthcare, LGBT issues and climate change. And so it begins. Some American Republicans mocked 'Obamacare' I wonder how they will deal with 'Nocare' lol And on to Charing Cross where me Dad sometimes worked in the seventies and on an overland train to Lewisham and onto the DLR to home again, home again, clippity-clop. Oddly enough the train was full of American people. Strange. Oh yes, why did I go to the West End? To buy some sewing machine oil for me Garrard 401, that there John Lewis stock lots of good stuff.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Frankly, Roger, I find you a bore.

"Despite having been labelled "the gloomiest man in rock", author Deena Weinstein described Waters as an existentialist, dismissing the unfavourable moniker as the result of misinterpretation by music critics."

Hee, hee, someone there agrees with you, Flops. Although I'm not quite sure what the second half of the sentence means. :D

I have Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here but never really got into their other albums.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Niv, have a listen to Meddle; La Vallee (Obscured By Clouds) and The Division Bell, they may appeal.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
When I gave up this playing records to make some money lark 4 years ago I unloaded a ton of vinyl 45 singles but there were some I just could not bear to part with. I have listed them here and they are all in one box and all are 45rpm singles. The box is a Cantrell & Cochrane drinks box that was used to deliver Babychams and the like to pubs way back when and I made the lid.

I used to think that if ever a crowd were being a bit hard to get dancing I could always fall on this box and it would work. For sure there’s a lot of rubbish here but when you’re half-sozzed and just want a good time taste goes out the window, it doesn’t matter. There are some that probably wouldn’t work now but I’ve listed them all, I typed this out a few nights ago.

And this is by no means the full picture there were lots of album tracks that, had they been singles, would have been in this box, lots of Rock & Roll, James Brown and Reggae spring to mind. And of course there was this much again at least from more recent times on CD.

So, all you prospective DJ’s, maybe you might find this useful, I have listed them as I found them in the box. At the moment the box resides in the bottom of my wardrobe, it will probably be there when I eventually shuffle off this mortal coil.

Johnnie Allan – Promised Land
The Kingsmen – Louie Louie
Delaney & Bonnie – Miss Anne
Robert Palmer – Addicted To Love
R.E.M. - Shiny Happy People
The Undertones – Teenage Kicks
Them – Gloria / Baby Please Don’t Go
Dave Edmunds – I Knew The Bride (When She Used To Rock and Roll)
Dr Feelgood – Down At The Doctors
David Bowie – The Jean Genie
Billy Idol – Rebel Yell
The Clash – Should I Stay Or Should I go
East Of Eden – Jig-a-Jig
The Beatles - Revolution (B-side to Hey Jude)
House Of Pain – Jump Around
The B-52’s – Love Shack
King Bee – Back By Dope Demand
Dexys Midnight Runners – Geno
EMF – Unbelievable
Soft Cell – Tainted Love
Gap Band – Oops Upside Your Head
Snap! - The Power
Snap! - Rhythm Is A Dancer
Earth Wind & Fire – September
Earth Wind & Fire – Boogie Wonderland
Rod Stewart – Maggie May
The Faces – Stay With Me
The Emotions – Best Of My Love
George McCrae – Rock Your Baby
Gloria Gaynor – I Will Survive / Never Can Say Goodbye
Hues Corporation – Rock The Boat
Gibson Brothers – Que Sera (If You Should Go)
Ike & Tina Turner – Nutbush City Limits
Kool & The Gang – Celebration / Ladies Night
Kool & The Gang – Ooh La La (Let’s Go Dancing)
Lipps Inc – Funkytown
Melba More – This Is It
Andrea True Connection – More More More
Michael Zager Band – Let’s All Chant
New Order – Blue Monday 1988
Odyssey – Use It Up & Wear It Out
Pointer Sisters – Jump
The Human League – Don’t You Want Me Baby
Rod Stewart – Baby Jane
Shalamar – There It Is
The Real Thing – You To Me Are Everything
First Class – Beach Baby
The Rubettes – Sugar Baby Love
Salt n Pepper – Push It
Stacy Lattislaw – Jump To The Beat
Shirley & Co – Shame Shame Shame
Wham! - Wake Me Up Before You Go
Wham! - I’m Your Man
Matt Monro – Magic Moments / Catch A Falling Star
Ned Miller – From A Jack To A King
Dion – Runaround Sue
Dion – The Wanderer
Dave Edmunds – Singing The Blues
Frank Sinatra – New York New York
Pratt & McClean – Happy Days (TV show theme tune)
Gerry & The Pacemakers – You’ll Never Walk Alone
Bad Manners – Can Can
Slade – The Okey Cokey
The Nolan Sisters – I’m In The Mood For Dancing
The Archies – Sugar Sugar
Slade – All Join Hands
Chas & Dave – Ain’t No Pleasing You
Chas & Dave – Gertcha
Chas & Dave – Rabbit / Sideboard Song
Sylvia – Y Viva Espana
Stevie Wonder – Happy Birthday
DJ Miko – What’s Up
Whigfield – Saturday Night
The Beatles – Twist & Shout
Chubby Checker – Let’s Twist Again
The Fat Boys & Chubby Checker – The Twist
The Chiffons – Sweet talking Guy
Chuck Wood - Seven Days Is Too Long
The Crystals – Da Doo Ron Ron / Then He Kissed Me
Mr Bloe – Groovin’ With Mr Bloe
1910 Fruitgum Company – Simon Says
Ohio Express – Yummy Yummy Yummy
Chris Montez – Let’s Dance
The Elgins – Put Yourself In My Place
The Elgins – Heaven Must Have Sent You
Eddie Floyd – Things Get Better
Eddie Floyd – Knock On Wood
Edwin Starr – Stop Her On Sight (SOS)
The Foundations – Build Me Up Buttercup
The Foundations – Baby Now That I’ve Found You
The Flaming Ember – Westbound Number Nine
Freda Payne – Band Of Gold
The Four Tops – Bernadette / I Got A Feeling / Same Old Song
The Four Tops – I Can’t Help Myself
The Isley Brothers – This Old Heart Of Mine
The Isley Brothers – Behind A Painted Smile
Johnny Johnson & The Bandwagon – Breakin’ Down The Walls Of Heartache
The Jackson Five – I Want You Back
James Brown – I Got You (I Feel Good)
Martha Reeves & The Vandellas – Nowhere To Run
Jeff Beck – Hi Ho Silver Lining
Jackie Wilson – Higher & Higher
Lulu – Shout
The Love Affair – Everlasting Love
Len Barry – 1-2-3
Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - 3rd Finger Left Hand / Jimmy Mack
Martha Reeves & The Vandellas – Dancing In The Street
Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell – If I Could Build My Whole World Around You
Sly & The Family Stone – Dance To The Music
Shirley Ellis – The Clapping Song
The Showstoppers - Ain’t Nothing But A House Party
The Supremes – Baby Love
Steam – Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye
Tommy James & The Shondells – Mony Mony
Tami Lyn – I’m Gonna Run Away From You
The Velvelettes – Needle In A Haystack
The Velvelettes – Really Saying Something
Wilson Pickett – In The Midnight Hour
Boney M – Brown Girl In The Ring / Rivers Of Babylon
Billy Ocean – Love Really Hurts Without You
Chic – Le Feak
Crown Heights Affair – You Gave Me Love
The Bee Gees – Stayin’ Alive
The Bee Gees – Night Fever
John Travolta & Olivia Newton John – You’re The One That I Want
John Travolta & Olivia Newton John – Summer Nights
Right Said Fred – I’m Too Sexy
Crystal Waters – Gypsy Woman (La Da Dee)
Chad Jackson – Hear The Drummer Get Wicked
Nomad Featuring MC Mikes Freedom – (I Wanna Give You) Devotion
The Source featuring Candi Staton – You Got The Love
Arrow – Hot Hot Hot
The Blues Brothers – Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes – (I’ve Had) The Time Of My Life
Technotronic featuring Felly – Pump Up The Jam
Black Box – Ride On Time
Technotronic featuring Ya Kid K – Get Up (Before The Night Is Over)
Sidney Youngblood – Sit & Wait
Phil Collins – You Can’t Hurry Love
Damian – The Time Warp
The Gypsy Kings – Bamboleo (Arthur Baker Remix)
The Joboxers – Boxer Beat
Billy Joel – Uptown Girl
Kaoma – The Lambada
Los Lobos – La Bamba
Mel & Kim – Respectable
The Rebel MC & Double Trouble – Street Tuff
The Bluebells – Young At Heart
Soul To Soul – Back To Life
Vic Reeves & The Wonder Stuff – Dizzy
Cher – The Shoop Shoop Song
Sydney Youngblood – If Only I Could
Deee-Lite – Groove Is In The Heart
Beats International – Dub Be Good To Me
SL2 – On A Ragga Tip
SL2 – DJ’s Take Control / Way In My Brain
The Prodigy – Out Of Space
The Prodigy – Everybody In The Place
The Prodigy – Charly
The Prodigy – Wind It Up

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Wow ! What a list. :)

Quite a few on there I don't know but then, I wasn't a DJ. ;)

One on there that really surprised me was Matt Monro, great singer but not expecting him on your "let's have a dance list".

And, bringing back memories, I see Y Viva Espana. one of my most hated records of all time. But, I suppose it always worked when you needed it. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I did say some were rubbish, lol, and talking of that I wonder whatever happened to The Birdie Song? I do have a vague memory of smashing it to pieces with a large hammer.

There are many obvious omissions, as mentioned, where I used album tracks or CD's, I must try and remember them. Queens 'Don't Stop Me Now' for one.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
The Kingsmen – Louie Louie a fine track. I would have liked to have been to an actual do where you were DJ'ing. A most eclectic selection no wonder you were popular. :dance:

Reaction score
Nice collection there Mr Flops and surprise, surprise some I enjoy,
Shoop, Shoop Song, Billy Joel – Uptown Girl, Phil Collins – You Can’t Hurry Love, Los Lobos – La Bamba, The Blues Brothers – Everybody Needs Somebody To Love, John Travolta & Olivia Newton John – Summer Nights,
John Travolta & Olivia Newton John – You’re The One That I Want, The Bee Gees – Stayin’ Alive, The Bee Gees – Night Fever, Boney M – Brown Girl In The Ring / Rivers Of Babylon, Billy O
Wilson Pickett – In The Midnight Hour, Boney M – Brown Girl In The Ring / Rivers Of Babylon
Billy Ocean – Love Really Hurts Without You,Billy Ocean – Love Really Hurts Without You, The Bee Gees – Stayin’ Alive, The Bee Gees – Night Fever, just to name a few, Yes Great collection.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
There are many obvious omissions, as mentioned, where I used album tracks or CD's, I must try and remember them. Queens 'Don't Stop Me Now' for one.

And "We Are The Champions" surely. That always got everyone going. And another one that always seemed to work was "YMCA" by Village People. :D

Ask a Question