Flops' Friday mini blog

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ha ! When the pic first came up I could only see the top of it and was wondering which was the man and which the woman.

My goodness, now there's a comment that takes me back to the heady days of my youth. I'd just turned 19 in that photo and at that time having long hair carried a bit of a stigma and us long haired yobbos copped much stick for having lengthy locks, mostly from boring old gits but also from some of our own peers.

'Get yer 'air cut' and 'coupla years in the army would do you the world of good' were typical comments we had to bear.

These days it seems length of hair no longer defines gender which I think is a good thing and long haired males barely raise an eyebrow. Nowt like a bit of androgyny to get folk guessing ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
And for those curious to see Ms Outhwaites' boatrace

PICT1106_800.jpg

Scanned recently from a negative, the white scratch is on the negative.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Random pic of the evening # 1:

Random Pic of the night Upstairs after hours at The Witchdoctor dance hall Catford 1969, the young lady whose name escapes me from the Kent village of Downe, Barry, also from Downe, and Chris Baine from Hazelbank Road. After the masses had left for home we drank and smoked til the early hours and sometimes held seances where we would occasionally speak to Napoleonic soldiers. Or so we thought.

Savoy 1_800.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Intriguing! Did they ever have anything interesting to say? :fool:

Becky, I can't remember, twas a long time ago but I didn't take it seriously then and I don't take it seriously now.

I do remember the glass moved about and spelled words out but dead spirits? Pull the other one, lol

Collective consciousness perhaps. Who knows?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Dull day, slightly bored and restless, decided to see which bands and artists were most popular with me – in theory, anyway. So I compiled a list of LPs I have in vinyl format only, ignoring all digital media.

I decided minimum of 10 LPs to qualify ‘Major league’ and 8 and above for ‘Minor Leaque’.

True nerdiness at its geekiest.

Major League:

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band – 25
Pink Floyd – 21
Led Zeppelin – 20 (Originals and re-issues)
Rolling Stones – 17
Beatles – 15
Neil Young – 15
Dusty Springfield – 14 (Plus 4 Springfields albums)
Fairport Convention – 14
Van Morrison – 14
Abba – 13
Hawkwind – 12
Iron Maiden – 12
Kate Bush – 12
Santana – 11
Bob Dylan – 10
Jimi Hendrix – 10
Pearl Jam – 10

Minor league:

Fleetwood Mac – 9
Genesis – 9 (All early catalogue)
Beach Boys – 8 (Mostly very old 60’s compilations)
Blur – 8
Creedence Clearwater Revival – 8
Doors – 8
Man – 8
Moody Blues – 8
Roxy Music – 8
ZZ Top - 8

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
That's a hell of a lot of vinyl. Where on earth do you keep them all? :D

Don't ever chuck 'em all out otherwise you will be one of Earth's major polluters. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
New soldering station. After using the same couple of Weller soldering irons for 30 years + (albeit with a couple of new heater elements) one of them finally gave up the ghost so I was forced into buying a new one. Cost £182 plus £18.00 for 3 x different sized tips. On the plus side this new one is better and it has a temperature adjust facility.

But woe, woe and much woe, woe verily doth flow over my body like a strain of the grimmest melancholy in a deep dark hue (was that overdoing it a bit?). Not only did my iron pack up but the navy blue Dms I bought at Camden Market 8 years ago died, they split right across the sole which is unusual cos normally the leather goes near the instep area.

And they say bad things come in threes, my laser colour printer is giving crap prints in colour, bought new toner cartridge drums to no avail so I suppose it’s knackered. Only consolation is it prints fine in mono so I shall carry on with it for a while but I’m going to need a new printer sooner or later.
Why do bad things all arrive at once?

724_800.jpg

732_800.jpg

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Didn't realise that soldering irons were that expensive. :(

I still have my Dad's old one but I suppose things have changed enormously over the years and wouldn't recognise a new one.

Yup, it's strange how things come in threes but at least you can print in black and white so the world hasn't quite ended just yet. :D

Ask a Question