[PL] PL2006 CD

Susan Bugher

I've been trying to wrap my head around the concept of bit torrents. . .
If I've figured this out correctly a trackerless torrent stores both the
normal torrent information AND tracking information in the torrent file.

It looks as if that would be a very easy way to set up a bit torrent
distribution for the PL2006 ISO file. . .

Would anyone like to help me experiment to see if I have this figured
out correctly? I've created a test torrent file with µTorrent and
uploaded it to the FTP directory. The testing.txt file is a very small
text file - IOW the download should only take a minute. The torrent is here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/testing.txt.torrent

If you use µTorrent or BitTorrent you should be able to use the torrent
to download the testing.txt file. . . I think. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Zack

I've been trying to wrap my head around the concept of bit torrents.
. . If I've figured this out correctly a trackerless torrent stores
both the normal torrent information AND tracking information in the
torrent file.

It looks as if that would be a very easy way to set up a bit torrent
distribution for the PL2006 ISO file. . .

Would anyone like to help me experiment to see if I have this figured
out correctly? I've created a test torrent file with µTorrent and
uploaded it to the FTP directory. The testing.txt file is a very
small text file - IOW the download should only take a minute. The
torrent is here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/testing.txt.torrent

If you use µTorrent or BitTorrent you should be able to use the
torrent to download the testing.txt file. . . I think. . .

Susan

no download it just sits there.

Recycle food today, eat your local mp for dinner.
England, land of thugs, hoodies, chav's, scumbag kids & druggies.
Be childish, leave half a lemon in your will to the taxation department.

Zack

Mozilla asked me what I wanted to do with the "testing.txt.torrent"
file and I told it I wanted to open the file in µTorrent. Is that
what you're doing?

Susan

it opened up in bit comet ok, uploaded about 450kb then stopped all
traffic.

Zack said:
no download it just sits there.

Recycle food today, eat your local mp for dinner.
England, land of thugs, hoodies, chav's, scumbag kids & druggies.
Be childish, leave half a lemon in your will to the taxation department.

Mozilla asked me what I wanted to do with the "testing.txt.torrent" file
and I told it I wanted to open the file in µTorrent. Is that what you're
doing?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

it opened up in bit comet ok, uploaded about 450kb then stopped all
traffic.

BitComet is *supposed* to work.

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Does_.C2.B5Torrent_support_trackerless_torrents.3F
<q>
µTorrent's DHT implementation is the same as Mainline and BitComet's,
but unfortunately this is incompatible with Azureus's implementation.
</q>

Any ideas on what the problem is? µTorrent has a check box to enable
DHT - does BitComet have that too?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

2

2ndopinion

I've been trying to wrap my head around the concept of bit torrents. . .
If I've figured this out correctly a trackerless torrent stores both the
normal torrent information AND tracking information in the torrent file.

It looks as if that would be a very easy way to set up a bit torrent
distribution for the PL2006 ISO file. . .

Would anyone like to help me experiment to see if I have this figured
out correctly? I've created a test torrent file with µTorrent and
uploaded it to the FTP directory. The testing.txt file is a very small
text file - IOW the download should only take a minute. The torrent is here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/testing.txt.torrent

If you use µTorrent or BitTorrent you should be able to use the torrent
to download the testing.txt file. . . I think. . .

Susan
I was able to download it with no problems and then I opened it with no
issues....

Susan Bugher

I was able to download it with no problems and then I opened it with no
issues....

Yea! Thank you. I really appreciate the help as I'm a complete newbie at
this. . . so. . . it appears that we can have a BitTorrent
distribution with almost no effort - and without having to use a tracker
site. :) :) :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

2

2ndopinion

Yea! Thank you. I really appreciate the help as I'm a complete newbie at
this. . . so. . . it appears that we can have a BitTorrent
distribution with almost no effort - and without having to use a tracker
site. :) :) :)

Susan
Susan,
If you do offer a torrent for the pricelessware, I would be happy to
become a seed as I have a great connection with cable here in Missouri
and I leave it on all the time.
Just let me know,
Thanks,
Ron

burnr

Susan,
If you do offer a torrent for the pricelessware, I would be happy to
become a seed as I have a great connection with cable here in Missouri
and I leave it on all the time.
Just let me know,
Thanks,
Ron

Hi ya Ron :) from a fellow Missourian. I'm near Hannibal.

Mike Bourke

"2ndopinion" <roncoffey(at)yahoo.com>
wrote in message
I was able to download it with no problems and
then I opened it with no
issues....

Given the problems that other people appeared to have (see the other
(Torrent client & Browser) combination you used. If it matches that which
other people have, it suggests that there is something in the configuration
which you could profitably enlighten members of the group about, if not then
that's informative as well.

I hate to rain on Susan's optimism, but until it's established that more
than 1 person with one particular software/configuration combination can
download the file, it's a little too soo to say that it's an easy method of
distribution.

Mike Bourke

Susan Bugher

Mike said:
Given the problems that other people appeared to have (see the other
(Torrent client & Browser) combination you used. If it matches that which
other people have, it suggests that there is something in the configuration
which you could profitably enlighten members of the group about, if not then
that's informative as well.

I hate to rain on Susan's optimism, but until it's established that more
than 1 person with one particular software/configuration combination can
download the file, it's a little too soo to say that it's an easy method of
distribution.

Good point Mike. So far we have one report of failure, one success. I'm
online now and have uTorrent running. How about giving it a try with
uTorrent?

Download the latest version of uTorrent:

µTorrent 1.3 (115 KB)
http://www.utorrent.com/download/1.3/utorrent.exe

No installation necessary. Next download the torrent file:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/testing.txt.torrent

Then start uTorrent, go to the File menu, choose "Add torrent" and add
the "testing.txt.torrent" you have downloaded. I think that's all the
steps that are required. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Craig

Susan said:
Good point Mike. So far we have one report of failure, one success. I'm
online now and have uTorrent running. How about giving it a try with
uTorrent?

Download the latest version of uTorrent:

µTorrent 1.3 (115 KB)
http://www.utorrent.com/download/1.3/utorrent.exe

No installation necessary. Next download the torrent file:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/testing.txt.torrent

Then start uTorrent, go to the File menu, choose "Add torrent" and add
the "testing.txt.torrent" you have downloaded. I think that's all the
steps that are required. . .

Susan

Data point;

I've successfully d/l'd the test file using utorrent 1.3 and am
currently seeding (will for the next ~12 hrs).

Craig

Susan Bugher

REM said:
I tested and received the email.

It might be good to prompt for a mailing address so that all info is
delivered in the initial request.

dunno if that's a good idea. . .

Copies of the email requests are sent to me. I filter them into a folder
- the idea being to get some kind of count on the total number of
requests for CDs. I don't need addresses and to protect the privacy of
the sender would rather not have them.

ISTM an exchange of emails would still be needed even if you had the
address. You'd have to tell the person making the request whether you
want reimbursement for your costs or reimbursement is optional or you
want them to send a stamped self-addressed mailer.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Collin

Craig said:
Data point;

I've successfully d/l'd the test file using utorrent 1.3 and am currently
seeding (will for the next ~12 hrs).

Craig

Me too. Have successfully downloaded test file, and will continue to seed
(using uTorrent).
This is an excellent way to distribute the CD. Last year I set up a tracker
on my ISP webspace, and seeded the equivalent of about 10 CD's. I didn't
seem to be able to generate much interest, despite posting the url of the
tracker on this newsgroup several times.
Count me in. I would be willing to seed the CD iso file for as long as
necessary.

Collin

Susan Bugher

Data point;

I've successfully d/l'd the test file using utorrent 1.3 and am
currently seeding (will for the next ~12 hrs).

Thanks Craig. :) So far so good. The torrent should work in some other
BitTorrent apps (Mainline and BitComet are mentioned in the uTorrent
FAQ) but uTorrent is such a small download that I don't think
compatibility with other bit torrent apps is a big consideration. AFAIK
any browser should work.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Jim Daniel

Susan said:
Good point Mike. So far we have one report of failure, one success. I'm
online now and have uTorrent running. How about giving it a try with
uTorrent?

Download the latest version of uTorrent:

µTorrent 1.3 (115 KB)
http://www.utorrent.com/download/1.3/utorrent.exe

No installation necessary. Next download the torrent file:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/testing.txt.torrent

Then start uTorrent, go to the File menu, choose "Add torrent" and add
the "testing.txt.torrent" you have downloaded. I think that's all the
steps that are required. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan,
I not quite sure how this works but I followed your instructions as
well (in eventual hope of being able to download the iso of the 2006 PL
CD).
Jim Daniel

Klaatu

Susan,
If you do offer a torrent for the pricelessware, I would be happy to
become a seed as I have a great connection with cable here in Missouri
and I leave it on all the time.

I'd certainly be willing to do the same.

Craig

Jim said:
Susan,
I not quite sure how this works but I followed your instructions as
well (in eventual hope of being able to download the iso of the 2006 PL
CD).
Jim Daniel

Jim;

Please report back when you've used utorrent succesfully to download the
test file "testing.txt.torrent."

Craig

sno

Craig said:
Jim;

Please report back when you've used utorrent succesfully to download the
test file "testing.txt.torrent."

Craig

Have tried to download test file using edonkey....have used before for
torrents...
am getting "invalid torrent file"

have fun....sno
--
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it

This tag line is generated by:

SLTG (Silly Little Tag Generator)

Jim Daniel

Craig said:
Jim;

Please report back when you've used utorrent succesfully to download the
test file "testing.txt.torrent."

Craig

Craig,
I followed Susan's instructions and the utorrent icon has been sitting
in my tray for several hours. When I hover over it it says "0
downloading, 1 seeding, 0 kB/s down, 0 kB/s up". Does that sound like
utorrent has successfully download the file? My firewall has been
reporting a lot of utorrent activity so I assume it must be doing
something. I will tell you I am pretty new to this.
Jim Daniel