[PL] PL2006 CD

Susan Bugher

wolfgang said:
this is an e-mail address of me . excuse my poor english btw .

Your English is just fine. Please excuse me for being too stupid to
figure out what you were saying. I got your email. I think we're all set
now.

I've uploaded a revised web page - mainly because the preliminary page
was already generating requests for the download link - several
yesterday, more today. The page now says "The 2006 Pricelessware CD
(not available yet)". I'm hoping that will do it. . . ;)

I've also added the new volunteer burners (The burner's email links are
NOT live yet.)

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-CD-about.php

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

wolfgang schneider

Your English is just fine. Please excuse me for being too stupid to
figure out what you were saying. I got your email. I think we're all set
now.

flattering me ...... :)
I've uploaded a revised web page - mainly because the preliminary page
was already generating requests for the download link - several
yesterday, more today. The page now says "The 2006 Pricelessware CD
(not available yet)". I'm hoping that will do it. . . ;)

you do a lot of work . if you're in need of some simple help just tell .
I've also added the new volunteer burners (The burner's email links are
NOT live yet.)

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-CD-about.php

looks good , i would order one eventually .

the only thing is : could you demand a subject like "pl-ware-cd" in the
requesting mail for to have the burners easier filtering about spam . do
i make it clear what i mean ?
i would except from providers-spam-filter any mail having "pl-ware-cd"
in the subject .

David P. Cox

Any more volunteer burners?

Susan if you can tell me just what would be involved here, I know how to
burn ISO images so that isn't a problem, but I've never done anything like
this before. Any idea about how many would be needed? Labels, etc. I'm in
Ohio. I would also need a copy of CD.

Thanks,

Dave
email
usadavid.cox2(not_at)att.net
remove usa and (not_at)

DevilsPGD

In message <[email protected]> Susan Bugher
1. Host sites will download first, followed by the volunteer burners who
have high speed access. CDs will be mailed ASAP to volunteer burners. If
someone volunteers to create a bit torrent they will also be given
priority access to the download.

Do you have any ETA for how soon you'll be ready to distribute?

Depending on the timing, I may be able to offer a couple mirrors
connected at 100Mb/s, I can probably offer a TB or so of transfer,
possibly more.

I can offer HTTP or torrent downloads, or possibly FTP as well.

ceg

Is there going to be a zipped version of the CD so we aren't forced to
download a 600 meg iso?

ceg

DevilsPGD said:
In message <[email protected]>

I'm not sure why you're replying to me... But chances are zipping it
wouldn't make much difference.

I wasn't replying to you directly...just to the thread in reference to the
cd. On a dial-up it does make a difference. The 2005 cd zipped to under
300 megs iirc...on dial-up a 300 meg difference is quite a bit. I live so
far out from civilization that I'm surprised I can even get a dial-up.

ceg

ceg said:
I wasn't replying to you directly...just to the thread in reference to the
cd. On a dial-up it does make a difference. The 2005 cd zipped to under
300 megs iirc...on dial-up a 300 meg difference is quite a bit. I live so
far out from civilization that I'm surprised I can even get a dial-up.
BTW...you didn't mean zipping the ISO, did you? That would most likely be
fruitless. I was referring to zipping the files, not the ISO.

bambam

Is there going to be a zipped version of the CD so we aren't forced to
download a 600 meg iso?

Seeing as how we went through this same topic with you last year, you
should already know the answer!
You are of course free to individually download all the programs on the
Pricelessware list, then you will have more complete list than others
because your list will contain all the programs, and not just those that
allow redistribution.

ceg

bambam said:
Seeing as how we went through this same topic with you last year, you
should already know the answer!
You are of course free to individually download all the programs on the
Pricelessware list, then you will have more complete list than others
because your list will contain all the programs, and not just those that
allow redistribution.

I should have figured that. Anyway, I hope y'all have better luck with it
this year than the cf you had last year.

Susan Bugher

wolfgang said:
you do a lot of work . if you're in need of some simple help just tell .

Thank you - I will. :)
looks good , i would order one eventually .

the only thing is : could you demand a subject like "pl-ware-cd" in the
requesting mail for to have the burners easier filtering about spam . do
i make it clear what i mean ?
i would except from providers-spam-filter any mail having "pl-ware-cd"
in the subject .

That's included at the end of this paragraph:

"Method 1. Volunteers may be contacted by using the email links below.
The countries/areas the volunteer will send CDs to are noted before
their names. Subject: PL2006 CD request."

I'll move "Subject: PL2006 CD request" to a separate line so it stands
out more.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Susan if you can tell me just what would be involved here, I know how to
burn ISO images so that isn't a problem, but I've never done anything like
this before. Any idea about how many would be needed? Labels, etc. I'm in
Ohio. I would also need a copy of CD.

Probably not very many - wild guess - 10 to 20 total for the year. Last
year's volunteer burners can tell you more about that than I can.

There are no labels. The CD will include a cover image. You can print
the cover if you feel so inclined - or you can let the recipient print
it. Last year's cover image is here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/Archives/2005PL-CD/2005PL-CDcover.jpg

"Da rules" allow you to ask for reimbursement for your out-of-pocket
expenses or a SSAE. See:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-CD-Procedures.php

FYI - IIRC it costs about 75 cents to mail a CD within the US (envelope
sleeve - padded mailer). (International mailing from the US requires a
short customs form but cost is still low - under two dollars.)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

DevilsPGD said:
In message <[email protected]> Susan Bugher

Do you have any ETA for how soon you'll be ready to distribute?

We still have a ways to go. I sent quite a few emails to authors
yesterday - informing them of the selection of their program(s) for
PL2006 and asking for permission to include their apps on the CD. Still
have more to do (if I can find addresses). . . Web pages need final
color scheme, coordination of the files and web pages needs to be done,
some files will need to be updated etc. etc.. . .
Depending on the timing, I may be able to offer a couple mirrors
connected at 100Mb/s, I can probably offer a TB or so of transfer,
possibly more.

I can offer HTTP or torrent downloads, or possibly FTP as well.

That would be nice. :)

Last year a few glitches on the CD were discovered AFTER distribution
started. Last year I opened the "master" ISO download up to too many
people initially - and that slowed the whole process down.

This year I think we can do better. This year we may take as much as a
week to check the final creation, get the file uploaded to the ALL host
sites etc. etc. before we open the ISO download to all ACF participants.

Best guess ATM - ISO will be created in less than two weeks - ISO
download will be available to all host sites fairly shortly thereafter. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Forced??? You may avail yourself of the opportunity to download should
you choose to do so. . . ;)

Per your request the ISO for the PL2005 CD is available for download in
parts. There hasn't been any demand for those files - everyone who wants
to download the PL2005 ISO wants the single file. so. . .

There are no plans to make the PL2006 ISO available in parts.
I should have figured that. Anyway, I hope y'all have better luck with it
this year than the cf you had last year.

Thanks. :) Things *were* more than a bit chaotic at first - bad planning
on my part. I think we'll have better "luck" this year.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

David P. Cox

Probably not very many - wild guess - 10 to 20 total for the year. Last
year's volunteer burners can tell you more about that than I can.

There are no labels. The CD will include a cover image. You can print
the cover if you feel so inclined - or you can let the recipient print
it. Last year's cover image is here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/Archives/2005PL-CD/2005PL-CDcover.jpg

"Da rules" allow you to ask for reimbursement for your out-of-pocket
expenses or a SSAE. See:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-CD-Procedures.php

FYI - IIRC it costs about 75 cents to mail a CD within the US (envelope
sleeve - padded mailer). (International mailing from the US requires a
short customs form but cost is still low - under two dollars.)

Susan

Okay you can count me in then, I will check the links provided later
tonight to follow up.

Dave

DevilsPGD

In message <[email protected]> Susan Bugher
That would be nice. :)

Last year a few glitches on the CD were discovered AFTER distribution
started. Last year I opened the "master" ISO download up to too many
people initially - and that slowed the whole process down.

This year I think we can do better. This year we may take as much as a
week to check the final creation, get the file uploaded to the ALL host
sites etc. etc. before we open the ISO download to all ACF participants.

Best guess ATM - ISO will be created in less than two weeks - ISO
download will be available to all host sites fairly shortly thereafter. . .

I'm in process of doing some server upgrades, the old servers will stay
active until the first week of December, which is when the old
colocation agreement runs out. If you happen to be ready to go sooner,
I'll add at least a couple servers with 100Mb/s of upload capability to
the torrent, and I'll run it without any connection limits or bandwidth
limits. I'm interested in seeing how much data they could actually push
:)

After my old servers get shut down in early December, I'll happily host
a mirror (Either in .torrent or HTTP or both) too, so add me to the list
of willing mirrors though. Email address is valid, or if you prefer I
can contact you with my business contact information.

wolfgang schneider

Thank you - I will. :)

no joke !
That's included at the end of this paragraph:

"Method 1. Volunteers may be contacted by using the email links below.
The countries/areas the volunteer will send CDs to are noted before
their names. Subject: PL2006 CD request."

I'll move "Subject: PL2006 CD request" to a separate line so it stands
out more.

this i must have missed :cool: . i already fixed the filter and so after
receiving the master-cd it could start .

bambam

I should have figured that. Anyway, I hope y'all have better luck with it
this year than the cf you had last year.

Another way is to just request a copy of the CD from your friendly local
burner. You will have a copy sent to your letter box in next to no time.

Whats cf?

Susan Bugher

Okay you can count me in then, I will check the links provided later
tonight to follow up.

Thanks Dave. I've got your email address and I've added you to the list
of burners who need a copy of the CD. We're all set for the moment.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

DevilsPGD wrote:

I'm in process of doing some server upgrades, the old servers will stay
active until the first week of December, which is when the old
colocation agreement runs out. If you happen to be ready to go sooner,
I'll add at least a couple servers with 100Mb/s of upload capability to
the torrent, and I'll run it without any connection limits or bandwidth
limits. I'm interested in seeing how much data they could actually push
:)

I don't think we'll be ready that soon.
After my old servers get shut down in early December, I'll happily host
a mirror (Either in .torrent or HTTP or both) too, so add me to the list
of willing mirrors though. Email address is valid, or if you prefer I
can contact you with my business contact information.

No preference here, if you want me to use a different email send a
message to the links button: (e-mail address removed)

It sounds like we should play it by ear for the moment. I'll contact you
when we're about ready to start the download the ISO / upload it to host
sites dance.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware