[PL] PL2006 CD

Craig

Jim said:
Craig,
I followed Susan's instructions and the utorrent icon has been sitting
in my tray for several hours. When I hover over it it says "0
downloading, 1 seeding, 0 kB/s down, 0 kB/s up". Does that sound like
utorrent has successfully download the file? My firewall has been
reporting a lot of utorrent activity so I assume it must be doing
something. I will tell you I am pretty new to this.
Jim Daniel

Jim;

It sounds as if it *may* have downloaded the file. Please do a file
search for "testing.txt.torrent" or "testing.txt*" on your system.

that should tell you,

Craig

Susan Bugher

Have tried to download test file using edonkey....have used before for
torrents...
am getting "invalid torrent file"

Sounds like edonkey only recognizes torrents that have trackers (I
believe trackerless torrents are fairly new). Try using uTorrent instead.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

2

2ndopinion

Good point Mike. So far we have one report of failure, one success. I'm
online now and have uTorrent running. How about giving it a try with
uTorrent?

Download the latest version of uTorrent:

µTorrent 1.3 (115 KB)
http://www.utorrent.com/download/1.3/utorrent.exe

No installation necessary. Next download the torrent file:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/testing.txt.torrent

Then start uTorrent, go to the File menu, choose "Add torrent" and add
the "testing.txt.torrent" you have downloaded. I think that's all the
steps that are required. . .

Susan
I forgot to mention that I am also seeding the txt file...

Jim Daniel

Craig said:
Jim;

It sounds as if it *may* have downloaded the file. Please do a file
search for "testing.txt.torrent" or "testing.txt*" on your system.

that should tell you,

Craig

Craig,
I have both of those on my machine. I downloaded the torrent file per
Susan's instructions. I suppose the other is a result of the utorrent
activity.
Jim Daniel

Susan Bugher

Me too! :) That activity alarmed me a bit when I first fired up
uTorrent. AFAIK that's due to uTorrent's search for "peers" - other
people who are online and running BitTorrent apps. When you have a
"trackerless" torrent file uTorrent uses peers to locate the file you
want to download. Put in the simplest possible terms - uTorrent asks
each peer if they have the file. If the answer is no the peer is able to
say "but it's over that-a-way ->" and uTorrent will ask the next peer in
the indicated direction - so the file is located in *fairly* short
order. That, anyway, is *my* understanding of the way it works. . .
I have both of those on my machine. I downloaded the torrent file per
Susan's instructions. I suppose the other is a result of the utorrent
activity.

Congratulations. The "testing.txt" file is the actual download. I
believe I mentioned it was a *small* file - you probably blinked while
it was downloading. The PL2006 ISO (well over 600MB) will take a bit
longer ;) and you'll be able to watch the progress of the download.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Collin said:
Me too. Have successfully downloaded test file, and will continue to seed
(using uTorrent).
This is an excellent way to distribute the CD. Last year I set up a tracker
on my ISP webspace, and seeded the equivalent of about 10 CD's. I didn't
seem to be able to generate much interest, despite posting the url of the
tracker on this newsgroup several times.

A bit torrent download may have seemed too complicated. uTorrent is
small and easy to use - this year may be different.
Count me in. I would be willing to seed the CD iso file for as long as
necessary.

Excellent! The ISO has been created - we're in the process of
transferring it to the host sites. When we get just a bit further along
I'll be able to furnish a download link to a bit torrent seeder. ISTM if
we can get the bit torrent going ASAP downloads of the PL ISO file could
go a lot faster than they did last year.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Tom Petersen

The torrent should work in some other
BitTorrent apps (Mainline and BitComet are mentioned in the uTorrent
FAQ) but uTorrent is such a small download that I don't think
compatibility with other bit torrent apps is a big consideration. AFAIK
any browser should work.

Tried and failed using BitTorrent 4.02. Got an error message "bad
metainfo - no announcement string". My only other bittorrent client
is Azureus, and it's a known no-go.

Anybody know of a bittorrent client that runs natively on linux and
will work with this trackerless method?

Craig

Tom said:
Tried and failed using BitTorrent 4.02. Got an error message "bad
metainfo - no announcement string". My only other bittorrent client
is Azureus, and it's a known no-go.

Anybody know of a bittorrent client that runs natively on linux and
will work with this trackerless method?

Bittorrent developers say your "bad metainfo" is a known problem w/4.0.x
and say to upgrade (current is 4.2.1)

hth,
Craig

Susan Bugher

2ndopinion said:
If you do offer a torrent for the pricelessware, I would be happy to
become a seed as I have a great connection with cable here in Missouri
and I leave it on all the time.
Just let me know,

Progress is being made. :) :) :) I think fairly soon we will have more
than one site that has the ISO file. I believe the fastest way to get
the torrent started will be for two or three of you to download from
different locations.

but. . .

I would like to have only ONE torrent file. I've been looking into
how/if that can be done and it looks to me as if it can.

AFAICT a torrent file it can be reseeded by starting the torrent as a
download and saving the "download" in the directory that contains the
file you want to seed (the PL2006 ISO file).

Can someone tell me if this theory is correct? If so is it the *best*
way to set up the bit torrent download?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

DevilsPGD

In message <[email protected]> Susan Bugher
Progress is being made. :) :) :) I think fairly soon we will have more
than one site that has the ISO file. I believe the fastest way to get
the torrent started will be for two or three of you to download from
different locations.

but. . .

I would like to have only ONE torrent file. I've been looking into
how/if that can be done and it looks to me as if it can.

AFAICT a torrent file it can be reseeded by starting the torrent as a
download and saving the "download" in the directory that contains the
file you want to seed (the PL2006 ISO file).
Correct

Can someone tell me if this theory is correct? If so is it the *best*
way to set up the bit torrent download?

Torrents become more efficient the most members you have (assuming
they're all contributing -- Those that don't share are automatically
reduced by the bit torrent protocol, so their impact is negligible)

As long as there is at least one seed active, the most efficient way to
get the source file out is to distribute the .torrent file to as many
people as possible and get them downloading (and more important
uploading)

Susan Bugher

DevilsPGD said:
In message <[email protected]> Susan Bugher

Torrents become more efficient the most members you have (assuming
they're all contributing -- Those that don't share are automatically
reduced by the bit torrent protocol, so their impact is negligible)

IOW - one bit torrent is better than two?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

David

IOW - one bit torrent is better than two?

Susan

One initially. As others join the torrent the number of torrents
automatically grows because each joiner becomes another source of the
file.
--
David
Remove "farook" to reply

?

=?iso-8859-15?B?qUCurqSl?=

Hi Susan,

I must have missed the beginning of this thread.

Which site currently has the ISO file? Are you looking for offers for more
hosts as I may be able to help.

Cheers,

Marty

----------

Susan Bugher

©@®®¤¥ said:
Hi Susan,
I must have missed the beginning of this thread.

Which site currently has the ISO file? Are you looking for offers for
more hosts as I may be able to help.

Hi Marty.

A couple of sites have the file now. If you've got the horsepower you
should be able to get the file in about half and hour. Can you help?

I'd like to give the download URLs to people with really *BIG* pipes who
are willing to seed the torrent. IOW let's see if we can get this show
on the road. :)

Susan

Cheers,

Marty

--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

DevilsPGD

In message <[email protected]> Susan Bugher
A couple of sites have the file now. If you've got the horsepower you
should be able to get the file in about half and hour. Can you help?

I'd like to give the download URLs to people with really *BIG* pipes who
are willing to seed the torrent. IOW let's see if we can get this show
on the road. :)

I have ~300Mb/s that I can offer... Email me if you're interested.

DevilsPGD

In message <[email protected]>
ceg said:
Is there going to be a zipped version of the CD so we aren't forced to
download a 600 meg iso?

I was bored and did some testing. Both gzip and zip achieved
approximately 1% compression, RAR didn't quite make 2%

The webserver supports gzip, so the file is automatically gzipped as you
download it, assuming you use a modern browser.

If you don't have a copy yet and don't feel like downloading, I'm also a
burner, so toss me an email and I'll get one in the mail.

Roger Johansson

Susan said:
I'd like to finalize the list of included apps ASAP (getting close to
finishing the other things that need to be done).

There are some programs that it MAY be okay to include on the PL2006 CD
- but so far I lack the necessary information. The programs below are
*currently* NOT on the list of apps to be included on the PL2006 CD. If
you use any of those programs please check the EULA and post the
information it contains about file distribution. TIA :)

From the readme file in the latest powerpro release:

"Windows PowerPro may be distributed freely, as long as all files in
the package
are distributed, including the license file, the readme file,
and the help file.

Windows PowerPro may not be sold nor be used in any profit-oriented
endeavor
without the express written permission of the author with the exception

that Windows PowerPro may be distributed freely via media intended to
make
shareware available to the public for trial."

No problem, include it.

Ceg

DevilsPGD said:
In message <[email protected]>

I was bored and did some testing. Both gzip and zip achieved
approximately 1% compression, RAR didn't quite make 2%

The webserver supports gzip, so the file is automatically gzipped as you
download it, assuming you use a modern browser.

If you don't have a copy yet and don't feel like downloading, I'm also a
burner, so toss me an email and I'll get one in the mail.

Thanks for the efforts. I checked 7zip and RAR and neither one made a
considerable difference. I did download a copy of the ISO with the utorrent
program. Took 2 entire days. Torrent doesn't live on my computer anymore.
Have a safe holiday.