Windows 7 XP MODE

Reaction score
I Have a Sony laptop {VGN-NW250F) with a Intel Core 2 Duo CPU. The laptop came with Windows 7 Home Premium operating system. I want to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional so that I can run the applications that worked in Windows XP. I have read that some computers will not run Windows 7 Professional in XP Mode. How can I be sure that XP Mode will work on my laptop before I sped the money for the upgrade?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As far as I know - you can't. Not until you try it.

Are you saying Win 7 Professional will run some older applications that worked in XP whereas Win 7 Home Premium will not?

This is news to me, I thought compatibility options didn't change across all the Win 7 versions but must confess I'm not sure.

Just out of interest, what software do you want to run in Win 7 that you used in XP?

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Windows 7 Professional will run Windows XP virtual machine as desired. The speed at which it will operate will depend directly on the hardware you have in the machine. With what you have, you should be fine. Perhaps additional RAM may help.

See https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/xp-win7-t4039551.html

Instructions on how to install the virtual machine are there. There are ways to get things enabled in a lower version of Win 7, but they are system hacks that may not work very well. I am not certain that this hack is even available. Either way, Win 7 Pro is not a bad bet. Just configure it properly.

Ask a Question