Windows Vista Laptop freezes after startup but ok in safemode

Reaction score
I hope someone can help,
my laptop freezes when I start doing things after startup, mainly the internet. It works fine in safe mode but not in normal mode.
I have searched the internet to find solutions which I have tried with no joy, some things have made the laptop last longer but it still freezes.

I have tried going into msconfig and disable everyting in services (apart from microsoft) I also done the same in startup, clicked apply and reset the computer but to no avail.

I thought it could be McAfee, so I reinstalled that but no luck. I have only really tried the internet (IE) to gauge how long my laptop will last before freezing, If I am lucky it will last 5min, maybe 10min and the everything freezes, Could (IE) be the problem as my laptop seems fine most of the time when I do not open (IE), I can go into programs, run Videos and music but when I use (IE) after a few minutes it freezes, then the only way to shut down is to hold the button down.

I have tried running a Malware program but that comes back clean. When I go into Device Manager I have 2 yellow triangles on network adapters, 1 on Microsoft tun Miniport Adaptor #2 and 1 on Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface. When I click on them they come up with "This device cannot start. (code 10) When I click on Check for solutions it comes back with windows can not find driver software. If I click on Update driver, it says Windows has determined the driver softwrae for your device is up to date, so why the yellow triangles?

My laptop is Sony Vaio VGN-AR51J, I am running Vista Hme Premium 32-bit, Processor Intel(R)Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @2.00GHz 2.00GHz, RAM 3.00GB

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, there does not seem to be any comsistancy to the freezing apart from going on the internet.
Thanks
Ian.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
First, get rid of MCraPaFee, IMHO, it is more trouble than its worth.

Windows Security Essentials is fine for your need, if you do then suspect a nastie may be lurking on you system, there are plenty of good online scanners that you can use, for free, that'll help double check the system.

Second, go to 'Windows Update', ensure you have all the updates available ... there are a couple of "hot fixes" on the Sony site, link below.

Reset IE, easily done here

The 'yellow triangles' usually denote missing drivers try checking at Sony.UK

Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface, I believe that is better explained here both your 'problems' seem related to one another.

good luck!

:user:

Ask a Question