Laptop Freezing, but not when I use it!?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ok, quick and dirty post....

Friend gave me his laptop to look at over the weekend, "it keeps freezing and i have to take out the battery to get it to power off" he tells me. (by freezing i mean mouse cursor freezes, the lot, nothing)

I've had a look, updated it, checked for crap, cleaned it out etc. Didn't freeze once the whole time. Sorted I thought.

Apparently not. "Still does it" he says.

Gonna have a look again today/later this week.

Give me a clue, what else could it be that i might have missed? I couldn't find anything wrong with it when i first looked.....

Dont really wanna waste a day/weekend on it if i can help it. Might just restore it and see if that works....

EDIT: Oh yeah, its a fairly new HP Win7 64bit machine. which i originally set up for him. So its already had all the HP crap stripped off it. :)

Reaction score
My first thought would be to make sure that hibernation is disabled completely. Run cmd as admin and type "powercfg -h off" without the quotes. We have recently had a number of laptops here that it was causing similar problems to.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Cheers guys.

TC, I've never really paid much attention to the HP website, I didn't know they were there. I'll read over that later. I should have the offending culprit this afternoon by the looks of it....

My first thought would be to make sure that hibernation is disabled completely. Run cmd as admin and type "powercfg -h off" without the quotes. We have recently had a number of laptops here that it was causing similar problems to.
I know Its deffo off within the power settings/plan, but i shall do that and make sure. Ta. :)

Ask a Question