Strip!

Reaction score
Okay, time has come for me to get her top off!

My HP DV4170us has a fault which requires me to us it at funny angles.
Or it just freezes - Even system clock. No crash, no errors....until it's happy with the position it's being used in.

(Tried different HD + XP Build and reseating RAM - Occurs with and without battery)

So... after a quick (failed) search on how to get her kit off... I'm reaching out to all you good PCReviewers..... Can anyone offer links/images or movies on how to disassemble the beast.... or the screwdrivers comes out with anger! :D

Thanks in advance and hope you all enjoy the weekend!
(Supposed to be nice, innit! :thumb: )
Kev

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Reaction score
I think if after you have removed all the screws underneath including the ones hidden under the feet then you cant go any further until you open the plastic tab which runs along the top of the keyboard. this is very awkward. At least it was with the laptop i opened up a couple of weeks ago. You should find screws in there.
You will also need to remove some of the casing ont bottom and perhaps take the battery out to see if there's any screws hididng in there.

Good luck.

Reaction score
FWIW - This issue is caused by overheating - causing the GFX chipset to mis-seat correctly.
Common to many HP laptops, PS3's, XBOX360's....
So the display fails to update - giving a frozen effect/distorted display etc..
It's a BGA reflow to fix it correctly... Or slam it in the oven - or get busy with a hairdryer/hot air gun.
My laptop never quite recovered from it's disassembly lol
Maybe I ought to have another look at fixing it! :D

Ask a Question