New upgrade, and a thanks to OcUK

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So, as BF4 is out I figured I'd treat myself to a new GPU, An EVGA FTW 780.

But I'm not just posting to say look at me, as i wanted to tell you about the excellent service i got from OcUK too.

Basically it went like this...

- AMD release the R290x, NV drop prices of 780's
- I order a MSI Lightning 780 as the price was very good, and stocks were going fast.
- Then i read that the EVGA cards have better memory chips on them so I phone OcUK and they swap my order to an EVGA Classified. No problem, they were the same price.
- Next day i get the Classified, Its too long for my case! Its literally about 3mm too big and wont fit as the hard drive rack is in the way. Totally my fault, i didn't even think to check the length of the card before ordering.
- So yesterday I contact OcUK and arrange RMA, order the FTW which is a bit shorter than my old 670 and a little cheaper than the MSI and the classified cards too.
- New card arrives today, installed, working all good.

Now the nice bit....

- The cards come with 3 free games, Batman: Arkham Origins, Splinter Cell Blacklist and Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag - all via codes for Steam or Uplay in the case of AC4
- So now i have one new card and two codes for each game. So i contact OcUK to explain and they say as a gesture of good will I can keep them all. :)

So for that i have to take my hat off to them, as thats a pretty good call from them dont you think?

I don't and didn't plan on keeping the games as i wont play them, at least for a while, so as most do, they are going to be sold, probably on the OcUK Members Market, should get around £40-£50 for one set of them. Now, do i sell the other set too? After the 6 games plus the old card that already got a buyer, that makes the upgrade a fair whack cheaper than i'd first bargained for. :)

Oh and I've just ran a few benchmarks, this thing is a beast! Chewed though the Unigine Heaven and Valley benchies without a hitch.

Its seriously quiet too, even at full load you honestly can only just hear it, and thats with the fan peaking at around 85%.

Looks like its gonna clock like a beast too! :D

Only the one pic as i was/am in a rush this evening...

hCxy7o5.jpg

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think you got a good deal there ;). Certainly made the price a little more palatable too!

Do you notice much of a difference compared to before in games?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah i lucked out a bit tbh. But as i've said, OcUK have always been good to me. I'm a regular poster on there forums so maybe that helped.

Oh yes, this thing is a monster! Dont forget its only just behind a Titan, and thats a £800-900 pound card. :)

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/827?vs=764

Then once this has had a bit of an overclock....

Tbh i was originally considering going Z87/Haswell, Something like this maybe -
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-166-OE&groupid=43&catid=2512&subcat=2513

But this 'old' 920 is still kicking butt lol.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good to hear OCUK are acting like human beings. After my last coupla deals with them I think my faith may be becoming restored.

And they give you a little bag of jelly-tots with each order too :)

Some feedback on your new card after a few days would be good.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Haribo Tangfastics. They are very nice! :D

As for the card, well its chewed though everything i have thrown at it, BF4 on max settings for example. I haven't tested the fps, I'm not into that, but I haven't noticed it drop below 60.

For a quick example, Tomb Raider, all settings the highest they go bar DoF as i hate it! This is what i get in the benchmark. (At 1080p)

S3lKMzF.jpg

i9VqUoM.jpg

Ask a Question