OcUK GeForce 275 or XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890 XT?

Reaction score
Hi,

Thought that this might happen... I'm reading to many posts and articles :(

As a result I'm not sure which graphics card to put into my new PC, do I stick with my first choice which was the OcUK GeForce 275 or do I swap it with the XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890 XT?

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated!!

Unable to see the woods for the trees,

Andrew

Reaction score
Hiya Andrew. Unfortnately we all have the same problem choosing things like these

GFX cards are probably the worst nightmare tbh

Many here like Radeon, many too like Nvidia

My advise...Read and read some more before you make that choice and spend that money

Pro's

Con's

Read reviews and spend your pennies. Try and make your choice future proof for a while aswell

Good luck. I don't envy you as i've been there many time's before

;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've had problems with XFX cards, as have quite a few forum members here.

I'm not saying don't buy ATI because of that, just choose a different manufacturer.

Myself, I prefer Nvidia cards made by EVGA and BFG and I do hear OCUK's own branded cards are good.

But that's personal preference, reports tell me the ATI cards are good and they're certainly reasonably priced.

Only you can make the decision ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Look at the features the different cards offer aswell. ATI have some niffty stuff for transcoding vids on the newer cards. Nvidia have Cuda and Physix stuff I think.

Reading is cheap and can be fun.

nod.gif

Reaction score
XFX do make cards with Nvidia chipsets aswel!!

Yeah CUDOS and PHYSICS on new higher end nvidia cards. Not sure about the lower end sub £100 models though

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ATI have always made good graphics cards, just a shame they cannot write a driver that works, well not that I have personally found ... so I moved to nVidia, never looked back. ;)

nVidia cards work out of the box with other OS's to. :D

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Whilst we're on the subject, I almost posted today after looking at the ATI driver download place.

They are slowly trying to disown all their old cards, much like Creative will disown all their old sound cards.

Nvidia still support ALL their cards.

I found this out when trying to find drivers for an ATI X850 AGP card for Win 98 - for me, actually :)

To be fair, I did find the drivers, but I did have to search. But the writing is on the wall, so to speak.

These manufacturers are fools. If they disown past products, I go off them. If I see support for a card from 1997, for instance, I will love this company and buy their new stuff.

They will never learn.

And back to ATI - their catalyst Suite relies on Microsoft's Dot.Net.X network thingie.

Nvidia's package is independent.

Linux? Nvidia has supported Linux a damn sight longer than ATI and their drivers for Linux are still superior to ATI's.

And to think that back in 2001 I championed ATI. I think either they took a wrong turn somewhere and/or somebody at Nvidia smelled the coffee.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I've always been a nvidia kinda guy, I prefer EVGA brand cards.

I suppose this may be a silly question, but what exactly are you going to be needing either card for? Gaming i assume. The size of your monitor may also have a role to play too.

Reaction score
Alf said:
I've always been a nvidia kinda guy, I prefer EVGA brand cards.

I suppose this may be a silly question, but what exactly are you going to be needing either card for? Gaming i assume. The size of your monitor may also have a role to play too.

Hi,

The PC will be used both for work and games e.g. CoD 4 (On-Line)

Regards,

Andrew

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
The price of ATI cards at the moment means they are extremely good value for money and contrary to some views on here, give very good service, I have had my ATI X1950Pro card for a while now and its never missed a beat or neither have I had driver problems, plays COD, Halo Wolfenstein, Half life2 and lots of other games I throw at it without a murmur..:nod:

Theres no card loyalty for me I go for what gives me the best bang for the buck at the time and always will..

Wish you luck in your choice..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Go with what ever you want to mate. The ATI cards do seem well priced and do seem faster than some of the Nvidia cards for around the same price.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
For COD 4 , i have to say that a Radeon 4870 would be a better choice than either - and cheaper to boot! If your playing at anything higher than 1600x1200, then a more powerful card will be in order. Otherwise for that game it should work just fine.

Reaction score
I literally just made this decision myself the other week.

I went for the 275, and it is a cracking card.

Personally, I find nvidia easier because the whole Catalyst driver system sucks.

I would advise you go for that, but be sure you have enough space in your case for it! Its huge!

Ask a Question