ATI Radeon HD 4890, will my power supply cope?

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Guys and gulls! I'm back! I don't know how long I have actually been gone for. Now I want to talk to you about the ATI Radeon HD 4890.
As some may know, the ATI Radeon HD 4890 is a pretty new card, (It's actually just an overclocked HD 4870) but I'm getting this soon. I was upset to see no reviews on the OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU. Will it be able to run a ATI Radeon HD 4890? No other cards will be installed. It will also have to cope with 3 SATA hard drives, 2 IDE Optical drives, one floppy and lots of fans. I was a little upset though that it does not have a monitor output. I'll have to find another cable for it.
Also, when OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU dies, will it blow other parts too?

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Thanks guys, good to hear from you again :D
The ATI HD 4890 and PSU is dispatched now.
Still when it blows, will it destroy other parts?

Reaction score
Captain Jack Sparrow said:
Thanks guys, good to hear from you again :D
The ATI HD 4890 and PSU is dispatched now.
Still when it blows, will it destroy other parts?

In some cases yes, the PSU can take out other parts so its best to replace it straight away.

Reaction score
How can you tell if it's starting to fail?

Don't really think there is any set way to tell something is about to fail...You might get things like machine shuts down on its own cause PSU is overloaded....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
PSU's usually don't give you any warning of iminent failure, normal thing is for them to just drop dead.

It is possible for PSU's to damage other components in their death throes but thankfully it's quite a rare occurence.

About the only clues you'll ever get of a PSU's soon-come demise would be excessive heat surrounding it; an electrical burning smell and possibly a failing fan may be making a noise.

Good luck with your new kit :)

Reaction score
Guys and gulls! I'm back! I don't know how long I have actually been gone for. Now I want to talk to you about the ATI Radeon HD 4890.
As some may know, the ATI Radeon HD 4890 is a pretty new card, (It's actually just an overclocked HD 4870) but I'm getting this soon. I was upset to see no reviews on the OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU. Will it be able to run a ATI Radeon HD 4890? No other cards will be installed. It will also have to cope with 3 SATA hard drives, 2 IDE Optical drives, one floppy and lots of fans. I was a little upset though that it does not have a monitor output. I'll have to find another cable for it.
Also, when OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU dies, will it blow other parts too?

Should be enough by my reckoning

do you happen to know how many 6 or 8 pin PCIe power connectors you need to connect it up?

6 pins puts in 75w
8 pins puts in a huge 150w!

NICE CARD you're going to love it!

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
psd99 said:
Should be enough by my reckoning

do you happen to know how many 6 or 8 pin PCIe power connectors you need to connect it up?

6 pins puts in 75w
8 pins puts in a huge 150w!

NICE CARD you're going to love it!
I fitted it, it's MASSIVE! I had to rearrange my whole cable and hard drive system. But I has two 6 pin PCI-Express power ports. It's a great card but the noise it makes when gaming is DISGRACEFUL. It's so loud I have to turn my speakers up half way just to hear the game! But it's amazing performance in Call of Duty - World at War and Crysis and Crysis Warhead (Max settings - full resolution) makes it lovable. It's performance phases out the noise problem.
I was a bit disappointed by it's performance in GTA IV however, (Max settings, max resolution). 15-70 fps, Average 20 fps. I'm not sure it's the graphics card though, I think it might be the CPU - A QUAD core is recommended for GTA IV and I have a Dual core.
By the way, my max resolution is 1440x900, 19" monitor unbranded.

Anyhow, it's a great card, does get pretty hot despite the LOUD fan but I don't care because it's performance blows the noise away.
I will update my signature soon...
Edit: It's been updated! :D

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Just out of interest what is your cpu exactly.

Glad your now a happy gamer.
nod.gif

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Oops I forgot to put the model number in my sig :blush:

Its the 6000+
I've updated my sig now. Now all I need is a quad core and my gaming PC will be complete! I even have a Socket AM3 motherboard and all.

Ask a Question