400W PSU & HD 7770 - Am I safe?

Reaction score
Hello. I'm considering one of those new HD 7770s, but feel a little uneasy with my current PSU.

I've been doing my darn best to go with a rig, low on power consumption, saving money on getting a new PSU for the wattage. I have a brand new, unboxed, OCZ 400W Stealthxstream PSU, which apparently has a decent rating, along with couple of thumbs up from reviews here and there. I'm looking to pair this up with one of those new 7770s, keeping in mind power consumption.

Here's what else will be eating at my power: An i3, a Gigabyte GA-Z68AP motherboard, 8GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM, two SATA hard drives, an Optical Drive CD/DVD reader/burner, (would I factor case fans too?).

I was thinking about picking up one of these new 7770s because of their low consumption, just to be on the safe side (in the future, I could perhaps crossfire these and upgrade the PSU at the same time). Alternatively, I was looking at the 6850, which I've been told mixed things about running on the wee PSU (some on Tom's Hardware told me that the card would be grand paired on the 400W, others weren't sure). I do worry about the 6850s consumption, especially in the power usage benchmark, against the 7770. I honestly don't mind paying the extra £20 even if the 6800 series is better, especially if my components are safe when we go to boot up.

Notably I'm only gaming at 1280x1024, so the emphasis on lesser performing cards seems relative, well at least to me. I haven't the space, nor the dosh to hammer out on a new display for the moment, and I won't be shifting out of this apartment for a good while yet.

On the plus side, I got some decent feedback on the OCZ PSU in an AMD rig (which I've heard is a little more power hungry?) I drew up at Tom's Hardware.

Any thoughts, or advice that you might have, would be very welcome.

All the best.

Reaction score
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

Click on the link in the LITE VERSION column and you will be directed to a page where you can enter all your soecs to find out how much power you need for a particular rig. :nod:

Happy days. I tried this earlier with a HD 6850 in place, which apparently is a little more power hungry than the HD 7770, and I still had a little head room.

Thanks a bunch, that was surprisingly pain free.

Last edited:

Ask a Question